Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glow Danios.

I'm moving the stock of my 15 gallon tank to my wifes new 25 gallon. It has a school of 3 white skirt tetras, a school of 4 tiger barbs and a pair of peppered cory's.

She wants to add a small school of glow danios. Will all of the fish get along well?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you mean glowlight danios or glofish?

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Or glowlight tetra?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccross View Post
I'm moving the stock of my 15 gallon tank to my wifes new 25 gallon. It has a school of 3 white skirt tetras, a school of 4 tiger barbs and a pair of peppered cory's.

She wants to add a small school of glow danios. Will all of the fish get along well?
Tetras need to be kept in schools with a minimum of 6, 8 is better.

Barbs are aggressive and need a larger school to diminish the aggression. They will probably eat the glolights.

Corys need groups of 3-5, but again, more is better.

Before you consider another species for your wife's tank, you need to beef up the schools you have. That would pretty much stock that tank.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
Tetras need to be kept in schools with a minimum of 6, 8 is better.

Barbs are aggressive and need a larger school to diminish the aggression. They will probably eat the glolights.

Corys need groups of 3-5, but again, more is better.

Before you consider another species for your wife's tank, you need to beef up the schools you have. That would pretty much stock that tank.
The tiger barbs are going to be removed and and to a tank of their own with a few more to make a complete school. As for the tetras, we added 2 more at one point and the 3 we already have chased them all over and nipped their fins. We removed them and took them back to the store we got them from because we were afraid they would eventually be killed.

As for the cory's, I had 4, 2 of them paired (the 2 I have now) and the other 2 were loners more or less. They died about a week apart and I havent added any more since. Not sure how they died either.

THe danios are just labeled Glow Danio's at the LFS. Noone there seems to know anything about them other than that the guy delivers them on Friday.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccross

The tiger barbs are going to be removed and and to a tank of their own with a few more to make a complete school. As for the tetras, we added 2 more at one point and the 3 we already have chased them all over and nipped their fins. We removed them and took them back to the store we got them from because we were afraid they would eventually be killed.

As for the cory's, I had 4, 2 of them paired (the 2 I have now) and the other 2 were loners more or less. They died about a week apart and I havent added any more since. Not sure how they died either.

THe danios are just labeled Glow Danio's at the LFS. Noone there seems to know anything about them other than that the guy delivers them on Friday.
Do you have any pictures of the Danio's? I've never heard about those.
I had that happen with some of my cories, they seemed to hide all the time till I got more. Still couldnt figure out what happened
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
Do you have any pictures of the Danio's? I've never heard about those.
I had that happen with some of my cories, they seemed to hide all the time till I got more. Still couldnt figure out what happened
Next time I go to the lfs I'll take some pics with my phone. THey are VERY brightly colored and neon. They mist be died, which I dont care for too much. She seems to like them tho.

THe last Cory that I had die, I found my other 2 feasting on it. Cory's are unique fish....
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are probably glofish. They're not died, just genetically engineered. My friend has some and they are very entertaining to watch!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

You should steer clear of GM fish, they arn't natural and have a short lifespan.
Aquarium_Lover04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Lover04 View Post
You should steer clear of GM fish, they arn't natural and have a short lifespan.
I dont like them either. I think there are many other BETTER options that she could choose but, its her tank in the long run.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Lover04
I disagree. I have had glofish live for 4 years. That's about as long as I would expect any "natural" Danio to live. Genetically modifying something isn't always bad. Take BT Corn for example. It lives just as long as regular corn, but sometimes longer because it kills European corn borers, instead of being killed by the corn borers.

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danio, danios

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com