Glow Danios.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm moving the stock of my 15 gallon tank to my wifes new 25 gallon. It has a school of 3 white skirt tetras, a school of 4 tiger barbs and a pair of peppered cory's.

She wants to add a small school of glow danios. Will all of the fish get along well?

I'm moving the stock of my 15 gallon tank to my wifes new 25 gallon. It has a school of 3 white skirt tetras, a school of 4 tiger barbs and a pair of peppered cory's.

She wants to add a small school of glow danios. Will all of the fish get along well?

Tetras need to be kept in schools with a minimum of 6, 8 is better.

Barbs are aggressive and need a larger school to diminish the aggression. They will probably eat the glolights.

Corys need groups of 3-5, but again, more is better.

Before you consider another species for your wife's tank, you need to beef up the schools you have. That would pretty much stock that tank.

Tetras need to be kept in schools with a minimum of 6, 8 is better.

Barbs are aggressive and need a larger school to diminish the aggression. They will probably eat the glolights.

Corys need groups of 3-5, but again, more is better.

Before you consider another species for your wife's tank, you need to beef up the schools you have. That would pretty much stock that tank.

The tiger barbs are going to be removed and and to a tank of their own with a few more to make a complete school. As for the tetras, we added 2 more at one point and the 3 we already have chased them all over and nipped their fins. We removed them and took them back to the store we got them from because we were afraid they would eventually be killed.

As for the cory's, I had 4, 2 of them paired (the 2 I have now) and the other 2 were loners more or less. They died about a week apart and I havent added any more since. Not sure how they died either.

THe danios are just labeled Glow Danio's at the LFS. Noone there seems to know anything about them other than that the guy delivers them on Friday.

ccross said:
The tiger barbs are going to be removed and and to a tank of their own with a few more to make a complete school. As for the tetras, we added 2 more at one point and the 3 we already have chased them all over and nipped their fins. We removed them and took them back to the store we got them from because we were afraid they would eventually be killed.

As for the cory's, I had 4, 2 of them paired (the 2 I have now) and the other 2 were loners more or less. They died about a week apart and I havent added any more since. Not sure how they died either.

THe danios are just labeled Glow Danio's at the LFS. Noone there seems to know anything about them other than that the guy delivers them on Friday.

Do you have any pictures of the Danio's? I've never heard about those.
I had that happen with some of my cories, they seemed to hide all the time till I got more. Still couldnt figure out what happened

Do you have any pictures of the Danio's? I've never heard about those.
I had that happen with some of my cories, they seemed to hide all the time till I got more. Still couldnt figure out what happened

Next time I go to the lfs I'll take some pics with my phone. THey are VERY brightly colored and neon. They mist be died, which I dont care for too much. She seems to like them tho.

THe last Cory that I had die, I found my other 2 feasting on it. Cory's are unique fish....

Those are probably glofish. They're not died, just genetically engineered:). My friend has some and they are very entertaining to watch!

You should steer clear of GM fish, they arn't natural and have a short lifespan.

I dont like them either. I think there are many other BETTER options that she could choose but, its her tank in the long run.

Aquarium_Lover04 said:
You should steer clear of GM fish, they arn't natural and have a short lifespan.

I disagree. I have had glofish live for 4 years. That's about as long as I would expect any "natural" Danio to live. Genetically modifying something isn't always bad. Take BT Corn for example. It lives just as long as regular corn, but sometimes longer because it kills European corn borers, instead of being killed by the corn borers.

Back
Top Bottom