Gluten for Punishment??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Morning all!

We had a bully platy in our tank and on reading up on advice, we got a plastic fish breeder and put the bully into it, (with a significant amount of stress for us....never mind the bully!!!).

Got up this morning to find that the other platy fish who was being bullied, literally stuck to the plastic fish breeder!.....he won't leave its side!....is this normal??

When the bully was in the tank and chasing and nipping the victim, the wee thing got to the point were he would hide or run away when the bully even came in his general direction so why is he now stuck to the side of the fishy prison???

We intend to keep the bully in his jail for about a week in the hope when he is re-introduced into the main tank, he will have moved down the pecking order!

Thanks for any comments! :fish2:

If he is much larger or very aggressive he will just jump back up the pecking order. Let the others grow larger before putting him back.

What does "Gluten for punishment" have to do with anything? Gluten is that stuff that teenage girls in movies don't like to eat, right? Not sure how it pertains to a pugnacious Platy.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Also, since the breeder is clear, it wont really affect much. He has to be in confinement away from all contact from that tank for a while before he no longer has a place in the pecking order.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks RedDevil! Spelling error....it was early this morning that I sent the message! LOL!

Thanks for all your comments, still doesn't really explain why the victim is still hovering outside the jail?? Maybe he's missing being bullied :nono:

I had a female guppy who was a bully. It so happened that she had a fuzzy spot growing on her so I moved her to a hospital tank. In that process, whilst acclimatising, she jumped out of the container I had her in and flopped on the wooden floor. I wasn't watching and didn't come back for about 15 minutes, and found her 1 metre away, she felt tacky so some time had elapsed. I thought she was dead! I plopped her back in the container, and her fins started moving! She was still alive and spent 2 weeks in "hospital" recovering.
When I put her back in the tank, she immediately challenged the top ranking female guppy and won. She's still the bully despite the trauma.
Good luck with your bully!

O dear!.......seems I may just be stuck with him then!.....to be honest, watching the whole tank today, a few more have become aggressive since the bully was jailed! I guess they're working out who's going to be "Head Honcho" whilst Mr Silver Platy is "on vacation!".

We're both very new to all of this, thought fish would be less worrying than having a dog!.....obviously NOT! LOL! Thanks for your comments!

We're both very new to all of this, thought fish would be less worrying than having a dog!.....obviously NOT! LOL! Thanks for your comments!

I think a dog is way easier!! I've almost given up on several occasions! I've lost as many guppies as my dog is old (10)!!

Back
Top Bottom