Going away for a week..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jwspong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive got a 29 gal community planted tank.. Going away for a week was wondering about feeding.. I bought a 14 day feeder block but I was wondering how I could feed my african butterfly fish.. Who only eats food that floats on the surface....

Please don't use the feeder block. They are notorious for fouling your water parameters. You can get automatic feeders that drop food in once or twice a day. Some will tell you that fish can go without food for a week without a problem. I haven't ever had an issue leaving fish unfed for a week, but some feel this is cruel.

I'm going to follow! I'm leaving from dec 28-jan 8. I had someone who was going to watch my fishys but sadly they're leaving during the same time to also spend with family. I don't have anyone else I trust enough inside my home. :/

Your fish will be just fine for a week without food. Fasting your fish can be helpful to their digestive systems as well.

Your fish will be just fine for a week without food. Fasting your fish can be helpful to their digestive systems as well.

The OP will only be gone a week so I can understand that. But with 10-11 days on my schedule, that would be okay too? Both tanks are established so I'm not worried about spikes. Especially if they aren't eating :O I do have timers for the lights as well

I've never left my fish for more than a week so I can't say from experience in that case. I'm not 100% positive but I believe the fish can go roughly two weeks without being fed and still be fine- so I think you should be okay for 10-11 days. Just be sure to feed right before you leave and when you get back and maybe drop in a sinking pellet to last them a little while.

However it would be best if you could have someone stop by in the middle of the time period and drop in some food.

I've never left my fish for more than a week so I can't say from experience in that case. I'm not 100% positive but I believe the fish can go roughly two weeks without being fed and still be fine- so I think you should be okay for 10-11 days. Just be sure to feed right before you leave and when you get back and maybe drop in a sinking pellet to last them a little while. However it would be best if you could have someone stop by in the middle of the time period and drop in some food.

That's the only downside! I'm worried about this because I don't have anyone I trust inside my home let alone near my fish. I don't even trust my husband and he watches me test water, change water, and feed them. We moved here due to military and I've only met one person I feel like I can trust. But they're a couple who is also military and leaving during our husbands leaves for the holidays. Other than that I have to rely on myself :/

That's why I figured I'd follow this thread incase anyone gave OP advice I could use as well :p
Thank you for trying to help! It means more than nothing

5-7 days without feeding fine, any more than that,makes ne a bit nervous, but it is spanked in established tanks. A lot of people use auto feeder because they are away a lot on business or what have you. It's up to each individual to make the choice they feel is best for them.

The two biggest things I stress are water change before you leave and no new additions for at least a month before you go. I once made the mistake of rushing a qt time on a new fish because I didn't have a feeder for the qt tank. I came home after 5 days to a dead tank.

5-7 days without feeding fine, any more than that,makes ne a bit nervous, but it is spanked in established tanks. A lot of people use auto feeder because they are away a lot on business or what have you. It's up to each individual to make the choice they feel is best for them. The two biggest things I stress are water change before you leave and no new additions for at least a month before you go. I once made the mistake of rushing a qt time on a new fish because I didn't have a feeder for the qt tank. I came home after 5 days to a dead tank.

Thank you! I was thinking about auto feeders personally but how well do they work? I'm also worried without me here to check my levels, I usually check my 10 gal every Friday, I did a partial water change after 2 weeks bc the tank is doing so well. My 20 gal is what worrys me :/ the cycle just finished a few days ago. I only have 3 platy fry and a betta in there right now.
I don't plan on doing stocking until January when I know I'll be here until at least June, that would only be a 2-3 day trip if that. This is a bit hard because I was so excited to be able to actually have fish again let alone the right way. Kind of nervous :O

Good quality ones work well. I've used cheap ones in the past that literally couldn't hang properly. I would go ahead and get a couple and start testing them now. That way you can make any adjustments needed and build some confidence in them before you go.

One of the last things you'll want to do before you go is a 50% water change. In a lightly stocked tank you shouldn't have any major build up by time you get home.

Good quality ones work well. I've used cheap ones in the past that literally couldn't hang properly. I would go ahead and get a couple and start testing them now. That way you can make any adjustments needed and build some confidence in them before you go. One of the last things you'll want to do before you go is a 50% water change. In a lightly stocked tank you shouldn't have any major build up by time you get home.

That makes me feel a little better! Do you have suggestions on a brand for the feeder? Thank you!

Good quality ones work well. I've used cheap ones in the past that literally couldn't hang properly. I would go ahead and get a couple and start testing them now. That way you can make any adjustments needed and build some confidence in them before you go. One of the last things you'll want to do before you go is a 50% water change. In a lightly stocked tank you shouldn't have any major build up by time you get home.

That makes me feel a little better. Do you have any suggestions on a feeder as far as brand? Thank you in advance

I haven't used one in about 3 years. Lack of money prevents traveling too far away or for too long at a time.

You might start a thread in the general discussions area regarding what brand others are using.

Back
Top Bottom