Going away for two weeks in August... will they be ok??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all. Haven't done a post in a while, but this is kinda an emergency. I'm going away for two weeks in late August for a trip touring the East Coast. Awesome, right?

So my dilemma is that will my beloved fish do ok with two weeks without a water change? My cousin is gonna feed the fish and will dose plant ferts, but I don't trust him cleaning my tank. I have a RCS 10 gallon, a betta tank 10 gallon (Both 10 gallon tanks are planted) and a community 55 gallon. Will it work if I did 80% water change before I left?

Thank you!

You will be fine for 2 weeks without a water change, when you get back, do like a 25% change then about 3 or 4 days later do another 25%. Check your water parameters to make sure everything is ok. You can also go for about a week without feeding them, they will be ok. But, stay away from those auto feeders you drop in the tanks.

I've heard some horror stories concerning someone feeding their fish while they were gone. If you do water changes every week I don't think that missing a water change is going to present too much of a problem. Since you are going to be missing a water change I would instruct your cousin to feed the fish once a day.

To do this I would set up 14 small containers, one for each day, with a normal sized feeding for each tank. With this light feeding while you are gone you will minimize the risk of the water quality degrading. I would hide the rest of the food because you just cannot trust non fish keepers to feed the correct amount.

Yes! Pre measured is your answer. I'd also like to add, if you measure out half of what they normally eat, it will help preserve water quality. Good luck!

Laser said:
I've heard some horror stories concerning someone feeding their fish while they were gone. If you do water changes every week I don't think that missing a water change is going to present too much of a problem. Since you are going to be missing a water change I would instruct your cousin to feed the fish once a day.

To do this I would set up 14 small containers, one for each day, with a normal sized feeding for each tank. With this light feeding while you are gone you will minimize the risk of the water quality degrading. I would hide the rest of the food because you just cannot trust non fish keepers to feed the correct amount.

He has been a fish keeper for more than 5 years, he knows what he's doing. Ill consider the pre-measured feedings though.

phoenixkiller said:
He has been a fish keeper for more than 5 years, he knows what he's doing. Ill consider the pre-measured feedings though.

Lol then why cant he do water changes too? Pay him so he feels it is worth it!

I understand why. I am particular about my tank and even if the person is experienced I would just sleep better at night knowing they aren't messing with anything but food. Just a personal preference. I get it!

I think most fish can go two weeks without feeding.

Yes, they probably can, but if I were in his shoes I would still have someone feed them. It would just make me feel better. Gone a few days to a week? Might not have someone feed them. Two weeks? I would me much more calm knowing that they are eating.

Yes, they probably can, but if I were in his shoes I would still have someone feed them. It would just make me feel better. Gone a few days to a week? Might not have someone feed them. Two weeks? I would me much more calm knowing that they are eating.

I agree. I would probably be fine with a week but I would not do 2 weeks.

I understand why. I am particular about my tank and even if the person is experienced I would just sleep better at night knowing they aren't messing with anything but food. Just a personal preference. I get it!
You are correct. He is a fish person, but he doesn't... err... have time to research things, shall we say? He cleans his highly overstocked tanks once a month with 15-20% water changes, so I don't feel right making him do larger water changes weekly. He follows directions, so I trust him enough for feeding and fertilizer dosage, but when it comes to cleaning, uh uh.

Laser said:

I love this idea!!

Back
Top Bottom