Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Going from 60 to 120 gallon tank. Cycling ?

I want to know if i transfer all my water and my 2 canister filters over to the 120 gallon tank will i still need to cycle the new tank or can i add fish right away. is was thinking if i do that and just add 20 gallons of new water every day until the tank fills.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #2

As long as you don't add any extra fish, you should be fine. Your cannister filters are carrying most of the BB from your old tank and your old bioload. Keep an eye on your params, as you may see a mini cycle from what BB you lose from your substrate, though.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

You SHOULD move your existing fish at the same time to maintain bioload and prevent bacteria die-off, but you should take your time adding more fish to give the bacteria time to grow to compensate for any additional load.

Heatware 164-0-0
bzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you will experience a mini cycle however where there only is an ammonia spike. you could use the same substrate maybe too?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #5

both tanks are bare
Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cannister filters are excellent for establishing and maintaining an adaquate source of nitrifying bacteria. As long as you don't turn the filters off for more than a few hours, and use the water from your old tank, you will have no problem.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you setting up a second tank or moving the entire livestock from your 60 to the 120?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
let me throw in my 2 cents that 99.9% of the bacteria is living in your substrate, your filter, and other items in the tank. there is almost nothing floating in the water itself. use the water to fill up the new tank simply for the sake of saving water, but it won't do much for preventing a cycle.

however like others said, by transferring your substrate and especially those cansiters (make sure you don't let anything dry out) you definetly won't have a problem with a cycle. you *might* get a mini-cyle, but nothing on a large scale.

and tygger, from his description i would say he's moving everything into the 120.

-brent
Old 04-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

flipz, I agree. The bacteria is on the surface of the items in the tank and not free floating in the water column.

If you are transferring everthing from one tank to the other and not adding any new fish, you shouldn't detect a cycle.

Tags
120 gallon, 20 gallon, cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com