Going rate on used tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I think its time to setup a tank again. I have a 2 year old that is fascinated with fish and I just can't resist putting one together for her to enjoy. I haven't shopped for tanks in a long time and I'm keeping my eye on the classifieds. Is there a rule of thumb I should stick to when looking for a used tank when it comes to cost? More specifically a $ per gallon rule?

Thanks!

Bigger tanks are a much better deal than smaller ones. I watch Craigslist all the time, and it seems like I can get a 55 gallon tank with a nice finished wood stand (sometimes with light) any day of the week for $200, and with patience that setup comes up once a month or so for $100. Occasionally tank-only listings will be as low as $50. Stands retail for $130-$200, so that's not really a good deal unless you already have a plan.

Prices for a 30 gallon are pretty much the same, while 5 and 10 gallon tanks don't seem to get any meaningful discount from retail. People usually want $50+ for their micro-tank setups. Those tanks just don't take up enough space to make people really want to get rid of them quickly, and for lower prices they don't seem to care if they sell it or not.

I only rarely see 75 gallon or larger tanks, but that shouldn't be necessary for a 2 year old anyway.

I agree craigslist is always my first place to look followed by thrift stores. If the tank is the basic rectangle with stand, light and filter I figure $5 a gallon if it is cleaned up. Some are in very nasty condition that will take a few hours to clean up, I don't bother with them. If it is a corner, box, hex or octagon I expect to pay more.

wow... seriously? around here, $100 is expensive for a 55... i got a 150 with canister filters, lights, stand, for $250... 55's usually go for around $50-75 for a complete tank and stand and lights... tank only around $30-40... 10g tanks are usually about $5, but then you have the occasional seller who asks $50 for a 10g or $400 for a 55.. they stay on there forever.. i say $1-1.50 per gallon tops... you can get a new 10g tank at walmart for $12

Where I live, any tank over 50G is around $200 withOUT the stand....Most tanks that are 75G with a stand are about $600-$900. Lame, I know.

:eek:8O:eek: Maybe they are more expensive where I am cause not many people have tanks? I even looked in Seattle and they were even more expensive...People are trying to sell 20G's for like $50.

we just got a whole 40 set up tank, light, stand, filter, heater,background for 400 with 80 pounds of crushed coral new at a fish store.

I paid $150 for a 75g oak with stand and light at a LFS. Also got a 20 long with light for $15 at a garage sale....

That had to be a going out of business sale. A 75 tank only costs about $150 wholesale.

Dollars per gallon seem to decrease as tank size increases. On Craigslist Chicago, it's common to find 29g setups for $100-$150 while there was a 500g setup for $1200. Right now there are several 55-90g tanks with stands for $100-$200.

It really depends on how much equipment comes with the tank, how quickly people want to get rid of it, and most importantly, how much they think their used aquarium is worth. Some people must have the ultra-rare, limited edition, gold-plated super filter for what they're asking for their aquariums.

Dollars per gallon seem to decrease as tank size increases. On Craigslist Chicago, it's common to find 29g setups for $100-$150 while there was a 500g setup for $1200. Right now there are several 55-90g tanks with stands for $100-$200.

It really depends on how much equipment comes with the tank, how quickly people want to get rid of it, and most importantly, how much they think their used aquarium is worth. Some people must have the ultra-rare, limited edition, gold-plated super filter for what they're asking for their aquariums.

I agree on craigslist here there was a 10 gallon someone asking $100 for, it was the walmart kit with clown puke gravel and but no stand. I recieved and email today from someone I got sand, rock and coral from with a 46 gallon bow with stand for only $75. I am thinking where I could put it but I don't know of anyplace.

it all depends on your location, how patient you are and how patient the seller is. i just saw a 100g with stand listed for $150. that one didnt last 6 hours on craigslist before it was sold. i tried to get it but wasnt quick enough. i wouldnt pay more than $1 a gallon for any tank 55g or smaller but that is tank only. then you have to factor in what else they are selling with the tank.
if you are patient and they are not then you can score a really good deal but that can take time. and as we all know time is money. keep watching the listings in your area and you will get a feel for what is a good price to pay. you may even find one for free! i have.

55 Gallon

I'm looking at a 55 gallon with nice looking oak stand and hinged canopy. 1-2 years old being sold with a HOB filter and heater along with assorted fish/supplies. Seller is asking $300 OBO. Seems a bit high to me and sounds like they want to get rid of it so I'm tempted to offer $150 to $200. Is this in line with the value of the tank?

Based on posts in this thread, I'd say prices seem fairly variable regionally. In my area I would say your offer is still on the high end. The inclusion of the heater and filter is a nice bonus though, and $150 seems about right. It's not that I couldn't see paying $200 or even $250 for that, but based on similar items I see for sale I don't feel like I should have to. If you can't find a better deal anywhere, then I would definitely say it's worth it.

The inclusion of fish is generally a negative. Are we talking about a 9 inch oscar and an 18 inch pleco with assorted carnival goldfish and/or koi as per the usual?

Hard to tell from the pictures they have posted. I can see the outline of what might be a Bala shark but hard to tell. I didn't ask when we spoke on the phone. I doubt I would be interested in what they were keeping. He said if I didn't want the fish they would sell them back to the LFS.

No kidding. I keep natives almost exclusively, but the number of cretins you see trying to keep bass in tanks with double digit gallonage is mind boggling.

Back
Top Bottom