going through cycle again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
since my gravel change to sand 3-26-06. I took notice this morning that I am going through my cycle again. My parameters read as follows:

NA-20 (but ny nitrates never were low)(there is nitrates in our tap water)
NI-.25
PH-7.2
A-0

Could my NI go much higher or do you think I may just go through a mini cycle. I still have the nylons with some of the stones from my other tank in there. Today is the first I took notice to the change, my fish look ok so far.
I will do another water change today but I am leaving to go away for the weekend so I won't be able to do any other water changes till Sunday when I get home. Do you think I may come home to some dead ones?

You are right that it is probably just a mini-cycle and it is probably nothing to worry about. Time and water change is the only solution.

Since you have no ammonia and you do have nitrates, you have not lost any of that necessary bacteria and they will soon catch up with the changes.

Change your water, go have fun this weekend, and your tank is almost certainly going to be fine.

When you changed your substate you removed the bacteria that was eating through fish waste and such. Until this bacteria has the ability to build back up, the tank is going to cycle a little. Keep up with water changes to keep the NO2 low for your fish's safety and you will be out of the woods soon. You may consider using some biospire (SP never used it) which I understand can assist in the speed of this mini-cycle. I would do a water change before you leave, a large one, and one as soon as you get back. Depending on how much bateria you still have remaining in your filter, ornaments and other places in your tank, it may be built enough to keep things "safe" until the cycle is complete, or by Sunday when you get home.

Back
Top Bottom