Going to college

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUEaquarium06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i finally got all settled in college, with football and everything it was very hard to get used to it, and being so far away from my girlfriend is really hard. but im finally sort of settled and i need something to keep me busy here, I still have all my tanks at home my girlfriend is taking care of them. So my dorm has a 5 gallon limit so i think im going to get a MARINELAND® 5 Gallon Crescent Aquarium System. and im going to have live plants, i was wondering what everyone thinks would be a good stock just to keep me busy it doesnt have to be super expensive but i hate boring things lol. and please no bettas I am very tired of them haha. I was originally thinking just some cherry shrimp, but im not so sure about that anymore.
Thanks for the help :)

Hello!

College is an exciting time and speaking as a person who just graduated not too long ago, you will want something low maintenance (spend more time with friends, homework, and socializing!). My vote is still for a Betta :p but Cherry Shrimp are also manageable. The problem with them in a 5g is that they will reproduce until the tank becomes unsustainable for them, in which case you will have to cull some of them. I think its worth a try! It is just difficult to tell you what to put in a 5g...as I believe those are really just too small for most things...

Hope that helps!

I agree, I hate 5 gallon tanks, but its the biggest i can have lol. And my major is very time consuming, but I am someone who hates having free time so there is almost nothing that is to time consuming for me. I want to barely have time to breathe... plus it doesnt help that im about 100 miles from the middle of now where at a tiny school with absolutely nothing to do around here except do dugs and drink (which i dont do either) so i really dont care if its high maintnance hahaha

I saw a pretty awesome setup that was a 5 gallon with the footprint of a 10 gallon but half the height. It was for shelldwelling cichlids, which would be really cool, fairly low-maintenance and within the size limit.

My personal advice is to wait. I've been at college and resisted the urge to get a fish tank until my sophmore year and I think I was much better for it. The key thing is to live off campus. Now that I'm in my 3rd year, I live in a house and have two 20 gallons, on a 55 gallon stand (side by side- the same length as a 55), and with a rack below that would fit 2 10 gallons, and a dresser that could hould at least another 20 gallon.... I'll see how far I can push it before I run out of time or my roommates intervene!

Oh yea haha i forgot to mention sort of a large problem, the closest place to get any type of fish is 2 and a half hours away, sooo more limiting factors... but yea, I dont really care what it is, it really doesnt even have to be fish as long as it is fully aquatic and can live in a 5 gallon happily

Oh yea haha i forgot to mention sort of a large problem, the closest place to get any type of fish is 2 and a half hours away, sooo more limiting factors... but yea, I dont really care what it is, it really doesnt even have to be fish as long as it is fully aquatic and can live in a 5 gallon happily

In that case, here's a bit more advice. If your school has any kind of marine/aquatic/general biology program, find some professors who keep fish. I'm an aquaculture/marine science student at my U and my advisor has an office with more fish tanks than open floor space. When I want to get fish we order together to reduce shipping costs, not to mention he can get discounts through his connections.

In that case, here's a bit more advice. If your school has any kind of marine/aquatic/general biology program, find some professors who keep fish. I'm an aquaculture/marine science student at my U and my advisor has an office with more fish tanks than open floor space. When I want to get fish we order together to reduce shipping costs, not to mention he can get discounts through his connections.
my situation just keeps getting better doesnt it, its an Automotive Technology and Agriculture school, like i said theres nothing to do here I explored the entire campus and theres only 3 buildings and 3 dorms. 2 buildings are body paint and drive bay for cars, the other is the agriculture center which is basically a greenhouse with classrooms attached the only living thing ive seen besides humans is some horses in the agriculture unit. and to talk about your last comment there is no off campus living :) lol

my situation just keeps getting better doesnt it, its an Automotive Technology and Agriculture school, like i said theres nothing to do here I explored the entire campus and theres only 3 buildings and 3 dorms. 2 buildings are body paint and drive bay for cars, the other is the agriculture center which is basically a greenhouse with classrooms attached the only living thing ive seen besides humans is some horses in the agriculture unit. and to talk about your last comment there is no off campus living :) lol

Oh wow that's pretty terrible. You can still order fish online, you'll just have to take the full brunt of shipping costs.

yea, i hope to be getting the tank on friday so i have time to decide on the stock since it has to cycle and everything, but i was just looking for some ideas since im really looking forward to have a tank here, im actually really excited about awimpy 5 gallon tank, its kinda sad

If you went with cherry shrimp you could breed them and sell them once they got too populated!

In college I did betta fish. And triops. Just because they are weird

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Since you will have to order online what about getting a wild type betta or other less common labrinth fish. They are a little different with lots of different shapes and patterns. use google image to check out some of these. it may take some searching to find someone who sells them so that might keep you busy as well.

Licorice Gourami
Empire Grudgen -Hypseleotris compressus
Betta enisae
Betta pallifina
Malpulutta kretseri
Betta macrostoma

just thought of one more that I have wanted to try

pygmy sunfish

Since you will have to order online what about getting a wild type betta or other less common labrinth fish. They are a little different with lots of different shapes and patterns. use google image to check out some of these. it may take some searching to find someone who sells them so that might keep you busy as well.

Licorice Gourami
Empire Grudgen -Hypseleotris compressus
Betta enisae
Betta pallifina
Malpulutta kretseri
Betta macrostoma

I wouldn't put Empire Gudgeons in a 5 gallon they're just too big.
My friend gave me a pair when he tore down his 20 gallon and I had to put them in my 60. Mine are about 2.75" or 3" and I don't really see how that could work in a 5. Also they claimed a good chunk of the tank as theirs so if they were to be put in it no other fish could go in it because id assume the small size of a 5 they'd claim the whole tank.

I wouldn't put Empire Gudgeons in a 5 gallon they're just too big.
My friend gave me a pair when he tore down his 20 gallon and I had to put them in my 60. Mine are about 2.75" or 3" and I don't really see how that could work in a 5. Also they claimed a good chunk of the tank as theirs so if they were to be put in it no other fish could go in it because id assume the small size of a 5 they'd claim the whole tank.

I was recommending different fish he could keep as a single specimen. Like a betta but something more unique. So its ok if it claims the whole tank.

I was recommending different fish he could keep as a single specimen. Like a betta but something more unique. So its ok if it claims the whole tank.

Oh ok that explains it!

+1 on a Betta with shrimp.
But my only other thought is sparkling gouramis although not sure what their bioload is though.
Also on the plants I suggest maybe a crypt only tank as they're pretty versatile and the variety out there is good. Plus low maintenance.

If you want something different you could look into Killifish. I haven't kept them personally, but I've heard of people breeding pairs of some species in 5g tanks. Since it sounds like you're ordering online anyways, you may as well go with something you don't find at too many LFS :) Aquabid.com has a wide variety of types, and you can sell the eggs back on there as well so you don't have to worry about culling babies.

Edit: Make sure you research the types first of course, as some Killies are much too active/big for 5g. There should be several annual types that will work though.

Well terms of plants I was planning on one decent sized anubias, 2 moneywort, some java moss, and a smallish piece of driftwood I still have no idea on the fish/invertebrates

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom