Going to fish-in cycling from fish-less cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone decided in the middle of fishless cycling to do fish in cycling? If so, why? How did it go? What are the proper steps to going to fish-in cycling coming from fish-less cycling? I have idea but need confirmation please of what to do so I don't loose fish...thanks

If you get your levels down low enough. Get ammo and nitrite down close to zero before you add your fish and you should be fine.

If you get your levels down low enough. Get ammo and nitrite down close to zero before you add your fish and you should be fine.

my ammo has been 0 for almost 24 hours, trites are off the chart and I have done PWC and a few hours later they are right back off the chart, and trates are 10

As long as your trites are high I wouldn't put fish in there.

Geronica said:
my ammo has been 0 for almost 24 hours, trites are off the chart and I have done PWC and a few hours later they are right back off the chart, and trates are 10

What does your tap water test at?
Do a 100% water change and try adding tetra safestart or dr tims one and only when you add your first fish then it's just like any normal fish in cycle, the only differences you should see are
1: it should cycle much quicker
2: if it works you should see very little (if anything) by way of ammonia or nitrite spike
Safestart has worked wonders for me twice now.
Good luck.

What does your tap water test at?
Do a 100% water change and try adding tetra safestart or dr tims one and only when you add your first fish then it's just like any normal fish in cycle, the only differences you should see are
1: it should cycle much quicker
2: if it works you should see very little (if anything) by way of ammonia or nitrite spike
Safestart has worked wonders for me twice now.
Good luck.

When my tap is tested immediately the ph 7.4, ammo .5, trites/trates are 0
I have added a filthy filter media from my cycled 55g 2 weeks ago into my current 40b filter and I also added one this week in the tank itself

What temp is your tank at?
Your filter is converting ammo effectively so it may be worth just riding it out. Change out water to bring your nitrites right down as high levels of nitrite just as with ammo can stall your cycle and high nitrites can also lead to inaccurate readings for nitrates

What temp is your tank at?
Your filter is converting ammo effectively so it may be worth just riding it out. Change out water to bring your nitrites right down as high levels of nitrite just as with ammo can stall your cycle and high nitrites can also lead to inaccurate readings for nitrates

Okay, temp is at 87 and since ammo drops so quickly and trites go up quickly do I need to do water change daily? I am asking because I have been doing 2 50% (totaling 100% per day) for the last couple days to get it down but it goes right back up less than 24 hours. I purposely did not add any ammo yesterday evening to see if trites would begin going down but guess what NOPE I waited 24 hours to test and they are high off the charts right now with no ammo:blink::(:(

I would do a massive (90-100%) water change to bring nitrite right back down. Re dose yr ammo to 1or2 ppm and see what happens.
You could try safestart or one and only or you could try adding more seeded media but you obviously don't want to send your cycled tank into a mini cycle so you could try an active sponge filter from http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm
Make sure you select the active one though. Not tried them but have seen several people in the US recommend them.

I would do a massive (90-100%) water change to bring nitrite right back down. Re dose yr ammo to 1or2 ppm and see what happens.
You could try safestart or one and only or you could try adding more seeded media but you obviously don't want to send your cycled tank into a mini cycle so you could try an active sponge filter from Aquarium Sponge Filters
Make sure you select the active one though. Not tried them but have seen several people in the US recommend them.

one more question...if I do 100% PWC should I also pour the water out the filter to? ONLY THE WATER???

You could but I wouldn't have thought it would be absolutely necessary. I assume from that you have a canister filter? If you do empty it, just be sure to de-chlorinate your water before you refill the canister as the chlorine can wipe out your BB

If you are using filter media and doing a 100% change I would wait a day or two before adding anything(ammonia, fish, ect) and see what your working with.

Okay my transfer went all well...I am happy but also I am closely monitoring....
all 3 test today, few hours apart, are good results..yippee for me and for the fishy...they all seem happier to be in the 40B...
first pic is results around 12p and the 2nd pic is 30 minutes ago ......well I will update tomorrow...enjoy video clip..

Yeah!!!! Looks like your in business now !!!!

:ROFLMAO: yes...finally and they really seem to act like schooling fish now....hahahah...for how long....I love it they are sticking together scoping their new home out and the agressive opaline gourami is not being aggressive now...he was the last to put in tank...hehhehe.....I am so ready to get my 20H together for my plants Hcourts....:cool: I have all equipment ready I went and exchanged the aqueon filter for the ac30 fluval so now I just need to get my lamps good and sturdy then read how to clean this flourite (suggestions?)...then put it in and my PFS (once I rinse-forever), add 50/50 water, seeding material, maybe flourish (or is it best to wait till plants arrive?), turn heater to 78, am I leaving anything out that is vital to a successful planted tank?????? Please I want all good suggestions....

I only had to rinse my pfs like twice!! It's usually cleaner then most others;) as for the fluorite I have no clue. I figure you would just have to rinse it real well too?? I would wait for ferts and such till u get ur plants in:)

I only had to rinse my pfs like twice!! It's usually cleaner then most others;) as for the fluorite I have no clue. I figure you would just have to rinse it real well too?? I would wait for ferts and such till u get ur plants in:)

Okay, great, thanks:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom