Gold barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lfs said that gold barbs are good schoolers. I dont known if that is true or not. Anybody have some experience with these fish? Also what type of a bioload do you think they have? And what's the average size?

My lfs suggest 4-6 of these, so they have some familiar 'friends' to hang out with. Bio-load, I don't know of a particular formula but I would say likely to be above average for the length of fish, based on their 'roundness'. Not to technical then ! Size (length) up to 2"

Ya thats what I was told so I got 4 of them. They don't seem to school as much as I liked but still pretty descent schoolers. Sometimes they are paired up which looms pretty cool. I'm thinking of putting my dwarf gourami in another tank and getting a few more of them in hopes the they would school more.

Ya thats what I was told so I got 4 of them. They don't seem to school as much as I liked but still pretty descent schoolers. Sometimes they are paired up which looms pretty cool. I'm thinking of putting my dwarf gourami in another tank and getting a few more of them in hopes the they would school more.

I'm not sure about barbs, but my danois ae always spread out unless they get scared of something (like when my Moors mated), then they schooled for quite some time. Once things settled down they spread out again. My Cardinal Tetras are always schooling.

From what I've read ... Barbs are more shoaling fish (loosely follow each other in various directions) as opposed to schooling (swim in same direction) Mine at times swim in groups of 2 -3's but often late at night I'll see most of them swim as a larger, spread out group.

That's makes sense in the morning they are always playing around with each other it near the night they seem to be just around each other like 5" away

Back
Top Bottom