Gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitey73

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it true to get a few goldfish for a new tank to build up bacteria ?

Is can be true but most on here will tell you to stay clear of such a thing. What size tank do you have?

Calypso77 said:
Is can be true but most on here will tell you to stay clear of such a thing. What size tank do you have?

It's a 55 gal an I got two whisper60 filters one is for carbon an one has the foam just thought I'd tell yeah a Lil more about it ...

Ya I'd stay away from gold fish. You said in your other thread you are doing a fishless cycle. How much ammonia did you add to your tank?

Calypso77 said:
Ya I'd stay away from gold fish. You said in your other thread you are doing a fishless cycle. How much ammonia did you add to your tank?

None I thought you don't want that

Fishless cycles are pretty easy you just have to have patience. It only took 2 weeks to do the fishless cycle on my tank. My fish in cycle right now has so far taken 8 weeks and have lost 3-4 fish from it.

Dont add goldfish unless this what you plan on stocking your tank with. You need to decide if you want to do a fish-in or fishless cycle. If its fish-in, stock only with fish you plan on keeping. If you want to stock with fancy goldfish, I suggest doing a fishless cycle because they do not handle cycling well and may have longterm health issues as the result. Either way, cycling takes patience. Fish-in cycles can last 6-8wks or quite a bit longer. Fishless cycles typically average 4-8wks from scratch. Adding cycling media is the fastest way to jumpstart a cycle whether its fish-in or fishless. Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom