Gold Nugget Vs Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for a small pleco for my 65 Gallon and these both seem like good options. Does any one have a recommendation between the two?

Golden Nuggets are brilliant to look at, I think they are great in colour for FW.. Depends if you want one to work or to look pretty.

Cleggat said:
Golden Nuggets are brilliant to look at, I think they are great in colour for FW.. Depends if you want one to work or to look pretty.

When I was setting mine up I wanted to buy one but couldnt find any.

One thing to watch out for with the gold nuggets is a sunken belly. Quite often they're held too long w/out feeding between collecting, waiting at the distributor's, then finally arriving at the lfs. If the bacteria in their gut dies off they're unable to digest their food, and regardless of how much they eat they'll starve to death. Best bet is to get one from an lfs that's been there for a few weeks already that doesn't look too skinny.
If you want a brightly colored BN I have super reds available.
Adult male:
img_1423459_0_07145e8446ca64a4e0ac6f15edb09dd0.jpg

Juvies:
img_1423459_1_11732cad573fc5836df1bbf8740b58c3.jpg

Bristlenose are hardy and very effective, but a gold nugget is an amazing fish to have. Either way you won't lose. I have both. You could get a bristlenose for now to get the work done and keep an eye out (and a request in at the LFS) for a healthy gold nugget.

Back
Top Bottom