Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Golden algae eater nipping at my goldfish?

I have 6 goldfish and a juvenile golden algae eater. I've recently caught him nipping at my goldfish. Is this normal behavior for these 2?Click image for larger version

Name:	received_377109089807038.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	312596

Old 04-10-2019, 01:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I can't be 100% seeing the pic, but this sounds like this is a Chinese Algae Eater.

Absolutely a worst fish for the aquarium - and an evil nemesis of the Goldy. They love the slimecoat of the GF. Will injure and can cause the death of the GF. Aggressive fish.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
I can't be 100% seeing the pic, but this sounds like this is a Chinese Algae Eater.

Absolutely a worst fish for the aquarium - and an evil nemesis of the Goldy. They love the slimecoat of the GF. Will injure and can cause the death of the GF. Aggressive fish.
Wow I had no idea. I was doing a friend a favor by taking his fish for him. I had no idea. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe wouldn't be bad for a more aggressive tank, I really couldn't say I don't have experience with aggressive types.

Weather Loach / Misgurnus anguillicaudatus is a good tank partner for GF. Looks similar but not close to same behavior.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Money View Post
I have 6 goldfish and a juvenile golden algae eater. I've recently caught him nipping at my goldfish. Is this normal behavior for these 2?Attachment 312596
Hello T...

These two species aren't compatible. They have different water temperature requirements. Also, adult Indian Algae Eaters have a diet that includes feeding off the slime coat of other fish. The slime coat on the Goldfish protects them from infection, so having the two fish in the same tank isn't very good. Did you do your research on these two, or did you believe what someone told you?

B

Tags
algae, algae eater, ate, eat, eater, fish, gold, golden, goldfish, nipping

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com