Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to a market kind of like a flea market. I went to the fish area and got some goldfish well my dad did! I put 2 in my 20G community hoping they also will breed. I know nothing about them though :/ and I also got a job there since I know a lot about fish!! He also will buy my platys and will sell them. So any advice?

Attachments

• image-677098729.jpg
    image-677098729.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 115
Goldfish can't be kept in that small of a tank upgrade very soon or give them to someone with a pond or very large tank.

calfishguy said:
Goldfish can't be kept in that small of a tank upgrade very soon or give them to someone with a pond or very large tank.

How many gallons? My adult friends have ponds and huge tubs of water. She could give me one of the tubs or just put fish in the ponds. Are goldfish orange and white?? I thought only orange. Might do 75-80G community tank though hopefully soon.

calfishguy said:
A 55 could work for two fancies but not common. Pm mummaoftwo she knows more then me on goldfish.

I will I heard she has goldfish thought it was common not to big on goldfish!

I can't really tell by the picture but for fancy's the rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first, ten gallons for every additional gold fish. So a 30G would work for two. For common gold fish, they get huge and create a lot of mess so people only put them in ponds.

I cant really tell from the pic either- the red & white one looks like it may possibily be a sarassa comet & the other I can not see clearly at all. Are they both single tailed or double tailed? Are the tails single & longy & flowy or single & short? Single tail varieties (comets, commons, shubunkins) grow huge- up to 18in and need to realistically be housed in a pond because they are pond fish. If they are double-tailed (which they dont appear to be), 30-40g tank would be sufficient. Better pics would help us ID them. :)

jlk said:
I cant really tell from the pic either- the red & white one looks like it may possibily be a sarassa comet & the other I can not see clearly at all. Are they both single tailed or double tailed? Are the tails single & longy & flowy or single & short? Single tail varieties (comets, commons, shubunkins) grow huge- up to 18in and need to realistically be housed in a pond because they are pond fish. If they are double-tailed (which they dont appear to be), 30-40g tank would be sufficient. Better pics would help us ID them. :)

+1
Goldfish require different conditions to most tropical fish. Ideally they don't belong in a community tank. Can you post some better picture so jlk can ID them properly?
You really should research fish before getting them (this includes your dad).

Reactions: jlk
Here are some pics. My family thinks that fish grow to the tank but my dad got that out of his head when I showed pic of stunted fish and thy are bad to breed. Also showed stuck fish that got stuck in tank. My cousin tried taking my JD and put him in a bowl!!:/ I didnt return because I couldn't and I thought 20G would be good. Sorry bad pics 1AM here.

Attachments

• image-734757841.jpg
    image-734757841.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1254075023.jpg
    image-1254075023.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3168177125.jpg
    image-3168177125.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for the pics! They appear to be common goldfish which come in a variety of colors (including red & white). They lack the long, flowy forked tail which is the distinguishing feature from comets. They are pond fish- i wouldnt try to keep them in tank unless you can offer them 50g per fish & a tank wide enough that they will be able to turn around once they reach a ft (or more). Not worth breeding to resell, as commons (or feeders) sell cheaply in any pet store but they will make a colorful addition to any pond.

Alyxx said:
What temp is this tank at? Goldfish are coldwater fish.

Around 78 what temp is cold water fish? Can they get nipped at by one tiger barb that is male??

calfishguy said:
Tiger barbs and goldfish don't mix and cold water tanks are kept at room temperature.

Ok cause my other tiger barb got eaten by someone in the tank and don't want another one to get eaten. I might get a 55g tub from a friend or
Make my bath tub into a tank :D or I might just put it in friends pond but will goldfish be ok in pond if it will freeze it does sometimes at night. Also thanks for responding was about to put barb in their !

Common Goldfish shouldn't even be in fish tanks unless you have a 100-200 Gallon tank handy for one. They are POOP machines. And very messy.
My grandma has some, even though i have tried to stop her from buying them, and they are messy eaters and makes nitrates go up really fast. If you want to make maintenance easier on yourself, go for a bigger tank, or move them into a pond. Depending on where you live, the pond might freeze over in the winter. Some people get big tubs to put them indoors.

JMO :)

It's a comet or common ??? I'm at LFS now and might get another tank!!

Mumma.of.two said:
Common. Reread the thread.
They need 50g per fish so your looking at a 100g tank at least for your two.

Bruins was talking about
Comet so it got me confused.

Here's a quick comparison so you know the difference in future.

Common:

And comet:

Attachments

• image-174036471.jpg
    image-174036471.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3877024292.jpg
    image-3877024292.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom