Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not planning on getting any, but I was just wondering why they are so popular? From what I have read, they just grow to be monstrous poop machines. Could anyone explain what is so great about them? Also, this is not at all meant to insult goldfish lovers, it's just a question based on my research.

I'm not planning on getting any, but I was just wondering why they are so popular? From what I have read, they just grow to be monstrous poop machines. Could anyone explain what is so great about them? Also, this is not at all meant to insult goldfish lovers, it's just a question based on my research.

Goldfish are like the old school bettas. People thought of them as just throw them in a howl and they're good, they don't need a heater and you just need to change the water. That led to them gaining popularity. Now bettas have kind of taken their place as the easy to care for fish, but there are so many types of goldfish. Also, goldfish may get large, but they aren't bigger than many of the other popular fish choices like many of the new world cichlids such as oscars or doviis. Goldfish are neat looking, there's a color or breed that could appeal to anyone and they are quite personable as well. While they might have unique requirements due to their messiness and the size of tank, it's not like they're needing some monstrously sized aquarium to house one. 30-40 gallons is a pretty typical size tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom