Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish owner

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!
I have a baby female oranda goldfish I got from my local l
Lfs. She lives in a 40 gallon tank by herself. I was wondering, 1. Should I get her a bigger tank? 2. If I kept her in the 40 gallon, would I have enough room for another goldfish? Does she need a friend? Or is she fine by herself? Any help would be appreciated, this is my first time taking care of a goldfish.

Typical recommended size for a goldfish tank is 1 for the first 30 gallons then 10g for each additional goldfish. You can go +1 fish for fancy goldfish.

So, your tank would be good for 2 more fancy goldfish. One thing to be aware of is goldfish are very messy and need a lot of filtration, so you may want to upgrade your filter or add another. Look to be able to filter 60 gallons for another goldfish.

Does your goldfish need a friend? I dont think so, but if your tank and filtration can accommodate one then some company might make it happier.

My tank has a HOB cycled filter with a sponge on the end and a sponge filter is this enough for just her?

Do you know what size tank the filters are rated for? I would expect it to be sufficient filtration for a single fish. 2 full grown goldfish? You will need filter(s) rated for 60 gallons.

Do you know what size tank the filters are rated for? I would expect it to be sufficient filtration for a single fish. 2 full grown goldfish? You will need filter(s) rated for 60 gallons.

My HOB can do 100 gallons an hour, and the sponge filter is quite big, bigger than my goldfish. That's about the best I can describe it?

Which hob do you have? At 100gal/hr it’s likely sized a bit small for a heavy stocking of goldfish

I run an ac70 (300gal/hr) on my 29gal that’s heavily goldfish stocked and it can hold its ground. Water quality is great

In the perfect world, you’d have a pair of filters, both with nearly the capacity the tank requires to offer some redundancy in the event of a failure, or just ease of cleaning (clean one filter at a time, never worry about crashing the cycle)

I would say that filter on its own is probably just about good enough for 1 fully grown goldfish. If you wanted to add more fish i would either get another of one of those or uograde to the 75. Short term you could add another fish now with a plan to upgrade when they grow.

I do plan to get a better, higher power filter for that tank, but right now, the baby oranda goldfish about 3 weeks old. Thank you so much!

Sounds like a good plan, that filter should be fine for now, but they will outgrow it eventually. Gives you time to shop around and wait for a good deal on one!

Sounds like a good plan, that filter should be fine for now, but they will outgrow it eventually. Gives you time to shop around and wait for a good deal on one!
Black Friday! Thats now made its way over here too. Complete con though. Yesterdays price £29.99. Today's price £29.99 reduced from £49.99.

Haha yup, gotta watch out for those types of deals!

See that a lot here too. Right now petsmart has its amazing Black Friday sale on, yet the sale prices are no different than the sale prices they run off and on 6 months of the year

If you own a goldfish tank, the color change will not be strange. The main cause of fish discoloration may be due to the high ammonia content of the water. The ammonia level in the water will increase as food residue and fish waste become trapped in your aquarium water. This is known as an ammonia burn, and black or brown spots will appear as the fish's skin begins to heal. Another cause to mention is disease. Although very rare, this disease can be transmitted by snails living in your aquarium. To get rid of it, you will need to get rid of all the snails in your aquarium while also getting rid of the parasites.

A different approach

Hello!
…..I was wondering, 1. Should I get her a bigger tank? 2. If I kept her in the 40 gallon, would I have enough room for another goldfish? …...

Check out the entire you tube series of 4 videos in which Dr Kevin Novak sets up his Goldfish 40 gal breeder tank. His system of using plenums is very fascinating. Gives him very clear and clean water, so much so that his Goldfish have vibrant colors and have spawned repeatedly in the space of a few months. The tank also has thriving plants too.

Back
Top Bottom