Goldfish and Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi ive just bought a small 20 litre aquarium and was hoping to plant it heavily and then put in one or two goldfish. The problem is everyone has a different opinion as to whether plants and goldfish go together? Do they mix is it a bad idea or are some species okay. Any help is much appreciated.

Some plants will do OK with goldfish. You want tough plants with strong roots or floating plants. Goldfish like to dig and will uproot most plants - but it is definitely possible to mix the two successfully.

PS a goldfish will outgrow a 20 litre tank quite quickly.

The tank will be too small for goldfish very quickly. Minnows might be a better choice there. Java Moss, once it takes hold should grow fast enough, but it is quite invasive if not maintained.

Goldfish when they get larger are likely to pull up the plants, or eat them. I've never had any luck with any plants and my goldies. For 2 goldfish you should plan on 75-100L tank.

Zagz said:
For 2 goldfish you should plan on 75-100L tank.

wait, isn't a 100L tank only like 25 gallons? i've kept goldfish, they do not grow to the size of their aquarium, and in a few months, when the fish are 5" each, if that doesn't scare you, than the rate of which they can cloud a tank will

please consider smaller fish, personally, 5 gallons is really cutting it for even 5-6 neons

Most people recommend 10 gal per goldfish. Some recommend 20 gals first fish 10 each additional. Common goldies might grow to 5" in a few months but fancy goldies will not grow to 5" in a few months. If the tank is regular or long and not high, the fish will be fine. Filtration in a goldie tank is important. I filter my goldfish tank to turn water 20x.

20L for goldfish will rapidly become too small, even for fancy goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom