Goldfish and Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of changing from gravel to sand in my fancy goldfish tank. Will sand be safe for the goldfish?

it should be ... just get some snails that can handle room temperature (such as Malaysian Trumpet Snails) and you should be ok ... They will just stir your sand up so that you don't get any nasty buildup (and they will eat any leftover food!)

Hey serlunch,

I had heard that adding sand to a tank, it could rise PH, or harden the water? are you sure none of this wuld happen when adding san to a tank?

Igongora

I heard people say sand will do damage to goldfish gills. I don't see that happening. I bought the black Tahitian moon sand. I went to That Fish place in Lancaster over the weekend.

Generally goldfish enthusiasts stay away from sand. It can do damage to the fish and we'd rather not risk a living creature to get the "look" we want in our tank. It is also better to aviod tank gravel as the fish often ingest the stuff with bad results. A large rock bottom, marble bottom, or bare bottom is best.

Back
Top Bottom