Goldfish - aquarium dimensions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I've heard that goldfish need a minimum of 20 gallons and then an additional 10 gallon per gold. I've also heard the starting number is 30 gallons. Either way, I have two moors that need an upgrade.
My question is do Fancy goldfish prefer a more vertical tank or a longer one...so it'd be like comparing a 20L and a 20H. My moors seem to prefer to swim low and vertical, rarely getting close to the surface.
Personally, I would prefer an aquarium with some substantial width.
I have a standard 55 gallon that I like the height of, but which it had a greater depth to allow more scaping of.
So, would getting a tank that had a long length, with some substantial width, with not a lot of height be ok, something like a 30 breeder?
Any suggestions as to tank size and dimensions would be great, because that's what I'm looking for.

Breeder tanks are always nice. They usually have a lot more width and less height. I do not like 55's either, mainly because you don't have much room to work with. The 40 breeder is a nice sized tank IMO. I have one and LOVE it.

Ya, I just recently reshaped my 55 with more rocks and was wanting desperately for more front to back space would magically appear. I made it work, but still...ya

Anyone else know if a goldfish would be more comfy in a long or tall?

I have 4 common goldfish right now in 50 gallon tank. I chose the longest I could as I understand that goldfish like to swim length-wise and that they prefer more shallow rather than tall. (They don't like being very deep...) I think they like the width as well as the length. Plus the longer length and width gives you more surface area for water flow.

Ok, from my observations I was assuming they would enjoy length and width over height. I'm glad someone else had come to the same conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom