Goldfish attacked by pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some help for my poor little ryukin. Out of all my tanks, I find goldfish the most demanding. I don't know where that "goldfish is easy to keep" stereotype came to be. :cry:

Anyways, to my problem. He has been through a lot, but everytime he's shown to be a great fighter and fight through adversity. He came to me with a bit of a SBD (swimbladder) problem, and would flip upside down quite a bit. After a treatment of fasting and peas, he's spent more time upright.

However, this time it's worse than its ever been. Although they started off well together, my pleco has been attacking his bigger and slower tankmate (I found out recently :( ). My ryukin has been showing a recurrence of his SBD, has one or 2 patches of scale damage (from the sucking I'm guessing), fin rot (looks like a crowntail), and when he swims, he wiggles frantically when moving.

I don't know much about hospitalising so I'm here to ask for help. I was planning to QT him, dosing him with melafix/pima, and feeding him blanched peas for a while to see how he goes. Does any1 have any suggestions for me on what else I can do, or what to do instead?

Btw, water parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-20

Your suggestion of QT and antibacterial meds sounds good. Unfortunately, plecos are not the best choice for a goldfish tank. The plecos find the slime coat of goldfish tasty.

Plecos will suck on anything slow moving and laying around, because it looks to them like food. I would QT if at all possible and treat. The goldfish laying on the tank bottom is probably just going to make things worse. Also, sounds like the pleco is hungry. Do you supplement it's diet at all? This might stop it all.

HTH 8)

thanks for the replies.

When I was first researching around for what to put in a goldfish tank I read up about that problem (plecos sucking on goldfish). I decided to take a gamble with that, and unfortunately, it wasn't a great move.

I am going to QT it most likely on Sat when I get my heater back.

Going to put my pleco in my trop tank. Getting a bit crowded in there but I think it should still be ok.

I feed my pleco Hikari algae wafers. I try to give them some veggies like zucchini when I get the time.

I have given my plecos the same thing, they NEVER seem to eat anything. They are very small albino bushynose. I have given them... lettuce, hikari wafers (which my goldfish love), zucchini, and orange slices. They are pcky little sqids. lol. So far they have not attacked my goldish. Honestly these goldfish are harder work than my ciclids are.

scarf said:
I need some help for my poor little ryukin. Out of all my tanks, I find goldfish the most demanding. I don't know where that "goldfish is easy to keep" stereotype came to be. :cry:

Anyways, to my problem. He has been through a lot, but everytime he's shown to be a great fighter and fight through adversity. He came to me with a bit of a SBD (swimbladder) problem, and would flip upside down quite a bit. After a treatment of fasting and peas, he's spent more time upright.

However, this time it's worse than its ever been. Although they started off well together, my pleco has been attacking his bigger and slower tankmate (I found out recently :( ). My ryukin has been showing a recurrence of his SBD, has one or 2 patches of scale damage (from the sucking I'm guessing), fin rot (looks like a crowntail), and when he swims, he wiggles frantically when moving.

I don't know much about hospitalising so I'm here to ask for help. I was planning to QT him, dosing him with melafix/pima, and feeding him blanched peas for a while to see how he goes. Does any1 have any suggestions for me on what else I can do, or what to do instead?

Btw, water parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-20

I'm having the same issue with my ryukins right now. Poor babys. I dont know what i'm gonna do with my pleco now. I wish he could stay in but he stopped eating his wafers. He loved em tho. He's been attackin fins and even tore a scale on my orange ryukin. So he's gotta go.

Moving the pleco to another tank is your best option here. Skip the mela/pima- its not going to help much & fancies do not do well with it. Where is the injured fish right now (size tank) and what are his other tankmates? What are the exact water parameters in this tank? What are his primary issues (i know you mentioned injuries & SB issues)? Is he eating? Some more specific info will help to figure out the best means for addressing his problems & what would be best for him right now! :)

Hi everyone,

I have read the above posts but I am a bit confused as I have had my pleco in the tank with my goldfish for months now, and only just in the last couple of days has he been attacking them. My poor lionhead goldfish has just been run ragged today and I'm worried he won't make it through the night :( He's just kinda hanging out at the surface looking pretty miserable. His scales are hanging off him and I feel so bad for him. I've moved the naughty pleco into his own tank for now. I don't get why he's suddenly just gone crazy? He has been absolutely fine until now. I have a 29 gallon tank and I did have a few more fish in there (I was babysitting) but now I just have the lionhead, the pleco and a couple of medium sized goldfish. They all have droopy fan tails which must look very appetising for the pleco but Mr Lionhead seems to have copped the majority of the badgering.

Do plecos suddenly reach an age/size where they go nuts? I really don't want to get rid of him but I can't have him molesting his roommates. I have read quite a few forums about this online and most people say plecos won't attack goldfish unless they are hanging around looking sick or slow moving, or sometimes the larger plecos (over 7 inches) might have a go at them.. But the lionhead hightails his butt out of there really fast if the pleco tries to latch onto him.. so he's not slow moving or hanging around the bottom of the tank. I have watched the pleco race around the tank chasing everything over and over again.

I don't have any medication for my lionhead :( Is there anything I can do for him overnight before I go to the aquarium store tomorrow? I just don't want him to die!
Here are the pics of the fish... as you can see, the lionhead isn't looking too pretty (he's normally black and silver) and the pleco is relatively small..

2012-08-18_22.16.29.jpg 2012-08-18_22.17.32.jpg

Thanks in advance..

Paula

Hi Paula! I am sorry this happened to your fish. Unfortunately, plecos are not a good choice with slow fancies. Eventually, there will be a problem as you have discovered. The pleco now has discovered goldfish are quite tasty and he needs to be elsewhere. I know you have very limited choices for meds where you reside. The best you can do for him would be to keep the water very healthy and see what you have available for treatment. I believe you have either methylene blue or Interpret finrot treatment available. I know actual antibiotics are not available without a script unless you have an aquatic vet you can seek help from. You can also consider adding .1% aq salt but I dont know if this is compatible with the Interpret product. Good luck and please ask if you have any questions!

I have big (over 6 inch) orando's and they are pains. They do require the most attention and work. First thing you can do is if you have a heater to use in his tank, slowly raise the temp up to about 78, don't feed for 2 or 3 days, the only the de-shelled peas. Epson salt has been used (I've used it and actually keep it in the goldie water) for swim bladder. If no plants, I use 1 teaspoon epson salt per gallon of water. Add it slowly and predissolve in water, don't just pour it in. Another thing, I've never done it but see if you can look up information about epson salt baths. I know you do it in just enough water to cover them, at the warmer 78-80 degree temp for x amount of minutes then return to tank. Sorry I don't have the exact directions but I'm sure you can find them. Another thing is if you could get Mardel Maracyn Plus, its a liquid and use it, it will address the other problems much better than Melafix. Melafix is great for external wounds but won't do anything for internal bacteria. Another thing, I found feeding the goldies Zucchini is a good source of fiber to. For the goldies I slice the zucchini into long thick slices and microwave it in alittle water covered until it is slightly soft. You don't want it mushy or they willl make a mess. Then find a stainless steel fork or a rock to tie it to and lay it on the bottom. I feed zucchini to my BN Pleco and he likes it better than peas. Hope this helps and good luck.

Oh forgot to mention, feed the Pleco's after the lights are off. They usually always eat at night. In the morning it's not uncommon to find mine parked on the zucchini! I feed zucchini 2x week and peas at least once to the goldies. I have a big tri-color that gets constipated and begins showing swim bladder problems if I slack off on veggie feeding just a little.

Rivercats, I am just curious why you would suggest Epsom salts. The fish is suffering from being attacked, it's not constipated. Epsom salts may do more harm than gopd. Any antibiotics, including those of the Mardel line, are not allowed in Australia without script. An aquatic vet is necessary. :)

"My ryukin has been showing a recurrence of his SBD"

I was referring to that statement. I did not look to see the person from Australia. Am new and not use to this forum being global. Will have to start watching that.

No problem! Just try to keep an eye whats being posted and when- Scarf posted in respect to buoyancy issues in addition to a pleco problems in 2005. Paula (from Aus) posted last night on this thread and bumped it up with her pleco-attacked goldie. :)

Sorry guys didn't mean to cause confusion by bumping such an old thread. It turned up in my Google search and I was more interested in the topic than the date! And the pure coincidence we're both Aussies... maybe the Plecos 'Down Under' cause more problems! Crikey! :rolleyes:

I'm happy to say my Lionhead has made it through the night.. still looking miserable and battered and staying at the top of the tank. He did eat and had a bit of energy when he noticed the food so that looked a bit promising. He is normally the greedy guts of the tank and have to keep him out of the way so the others can at least try to get some scraps so I'm glad he's still showing a tiny bit of fight.

I will drop in to my local aquarium store today (I hope he's open on a Sunday!) and see if he has the methylene blue or Interpret finrot treatment..

Meanwhile Mr Pleco is still in his own tank, probably contemplating revenge on me for putting him in the naughty corner.

Thanks jlk :)

Last edited:
Good luck, Paula! I truly hope he makes a full recovery!!! I am actually not an Aussie but helped another Aussie member on here with her ordeal with septicemia with her goldie- that was a a venture in itself and got the opportunity to learn what is and is not available for fish treatment. An appetite is a positive sign! I think the pleco is dreaming about the tasty goldies right now rather than plotting revenge....lol Dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :)

I am actually not an Aussie but helped another Aussie member on here with her ordeal with septicemia with her goldie- that was a a venture in itself and got the opportunity to learn what is and is not available for fish treatment.

Oh I meant the OP and I happened to both be Aussies.. not you :) I saw you were American.

I didn't actually intend to have a Pleco.. I was looking after my ex's fish while he was galavanting overseas and when he returned he told me just to get rid of them :mad: or give them back to him and he'd get rid of them! (He meant just throw them down the toilet.... ) Charming.. needless to say I won custody lol.. so I put them in my friend's pond and kept the Pleco. He's pretty cool and I would like to keep him, but setting up an entire tank just for him.. hmmm.. are there fish they can live harmoniously with? I don't really want to go tropical as I've never had much luck with those.. but I understand Plecos are normally tropical. I also read the bristlenoses don't usually grow beyond 5 inches so I wouldn't need a big tank for him, would I?

Sorry.. very very new to Plecos... I didn't even know they existed until there was one in my tank :blink:

I wish I could help with pleco but as a fancy goldfish fanatic, I do not keep them. You can post a new thread if you would like to seek the advice of others with more extensive pleco experience. :)

Back
Top Bottom