Goldfish Color Variety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added 4 Goldfish to my aquarium, 2 Comets and 2 Fantails. I was wondering if Goldfish had names based on color variation like Koi do, such as Kohaku.

Thanks!

There is no fancy names for color in gold fish (like in koi). There are breed names, and you just add the color in front of it. <Eg. Red Oranda.>

The fanciest "color" name would be calico (mix of red, black & white). :)

Oh, okay. Thanks, Jsoong. I was also wondering if very fancy goldfish like Pearlscales, Lionheads, Ranchus, etc. need any special care? I remember reading a webpage about about trimming the wen on lionheads, things like that.

On another note, I'm glad I only got 4 goldfish, my LFS told me I could have up to 6 in my 29 gallon and they would grow to the tank...Well, I wondered if they were just trying to sell fish. It's an older shop and they always seem very knowledgeable, although there have been times when they're advice hasn't helped but it did make them a little money. Anyhow, I do know they will need to be moved over time. Right now they're all fairly small, so I have some time to plan.

Hi! Comets can grow quite large--12". Plus they are more vigorous swimmers than many of the fancies. With fancies such as moors, orandas, veil tails, ruykins, etc. they need to be separated from the comets as they compete for for food and usually the comets win. Be careful of any sharp edges or surfaces with fancy tails and telescope eyes. (Plus the telescope eyes often don't see well too.) With the egg shaped bodies be careful of what one feeds them, they can bloat and have swim bladder issues.

GEOlson said:
Oh, okay. Thanks, Jsoong. I was also wondering if very fancy goldfish like Pearlscales, Lionheads, Ranchus, etc. need any special care? I remember reading a webpage about about trimming the wen on lionheads, things like that.

On another note, I'm glad I only got 4 goldfish, my LFS told me I could have up to 6 in my 29 gallon and they would grow to the tank...Well, I wondered if they were just trying to sell fish. It's an older shop and they always seem very knowledgeable, although there have been times when they're advice hasn't helped but it did make them a little money. Anyhow, I do know they will need to be moved over time. Right now they're all fairly small, so I have some time to plan.

Wow wow wow. Trimming the Wen isn't something u can do without experience. U will kill the fish if u don't have follow the right procedure. The reason why the say to trim the Wen of a lionhead, ranchu, and oranda is because sometimes they get so big that they virtually become blind so competing for food will be a challenge. Hence the reason u dont house fancies (round bodied) with (slim bodied) normal goldfish (common, comet, and shubunkin) because the normal goldfish are fast swimmers.

Fancies do need more care. Eg need clean rich oxygenated water (helps with Wen growth), best with a heater in winter u want to keep Ur temp above 70F, and such.

I think it's the best if u return ur two comets goldfish to Ur Lfs or find another home for it. Comets gets really big fast!

You guys are great, thanks so much! I'll see what the LFS policy is on returning fish. I told them it was for a 29 gal. and they said 4-6 would be fine for it. Even when I asked about outgrowing the tank they just said it would grow TO the tank. Makes me disappointed... I really like the Comets I got, but of course I do want them to have a good home. One has a red circle on its back and the other is similar with the red circle partly on its back and dorsal fin. One day I'd like to have a small pond, but I don't think that can happen at our current house.

My Black Moors have stayed black, so I feel lucky with them since I've seen some at my LFS that started to change colors. My Panda Fantail started out completely silver (hint of calico) and now has the most amazing black/white patterns. His face is getting some yellow, so he looks like a panda with jaundice lol.

That's cool! I really like my goldfish, and I've only had them since Friday. They seem so active compared to my tropicals tank. I just need to decorate it more.

GEOlson said:
That's cool! I really like my goldfish, and I've only had them since Friday. They seem so active compared to my tropicals tank. I just need to decorate it more.

Careful when u decorate. I recommend smooth edged ornamented (driftwood) and fabrics plants. Not plastic!!

Mr. Limpet said:
My Black Moors have stayed black, so I feel lucky with them since I've seen some at my LFS that started to change colors. My Panda Fantail started out completely silver (hint of calico) and now has the most amazing black/white patterns. His face is getting some yellow, so he looks like a panda with jaundice lol.

I think for Goldfish to stay matt black! The diets, temp and ph needs to be right, I believe. Is it true?

Yep, they have personality for days. My trio are best buds and characters to say the least lol.

I was also going to add that the reason koi have such fancy names, is because they sell for upwards of $800 at my LFS and that's not even the most expensive from what I've heard. At that price, they should have names like Maserati and Lamborghini lol.

I think for Goldfish to stay matt black! The diets, temp and ph needs to be right, I believe. Is it true?

I'm not sure, but they're in the same tank as my panda, whose has gone thru 3 or so color changes. I just hope he settles into his current color, because it's so cool looking (other than the jaundice lol).

I'm considering live plants, I have dwarf sag and jungle val in there now, just one of each and they seem to be leaving it alone. For some reason they feel that have to squeeze in between the airtubes and the tank glass..Yes, I will keep in mind padded walls and rounded edges, so to speak.:brows:

I'm considering live plants, I have dwarf sag and jungle val in there now, just one of each and they seem to be leaving it alone. For some reason they feel that have to squeeze in between the airtubes and the tank glass..Yes, I will keep in mind padded walls and rounded edges, so to speak.:brows:

I'd recommend Anacharis for goldies, they love to munch on it and it grows like a weed (mine anyways), but is pretty cheap to replace once there's nothing left but the stem. All my other plants that they don't find tasty, they rip up or flat out shred lol. But I like aquascaping, so I get to redo the tank about every PWC (once a week), although it is getting kinda tiresome.

Mr. Limpet said:
Yep, they have personality for days. My trio are best buds and characters to say the least lol.

I was also going to add that the reason koi have such fancy names, is because they sell for upwards of $800 at my LFS and that's not even the most expensive from what I've heard. At that price, they should have names like Maserati and Lamborghini lol.

Hahahahahhaha! Ya ive seeing koi goin for 1000+. it's painful. Haha I rather raise it myself! More connection and love this way so to speak

I can understand re-aqauscaping. I'm trying to figure out a good way to gravel vac my 75 gallon without having to take my stacked rocks down to clean around and under. This weekend I just used the just without the plastic and it gets around well, but it will suck up the actual gravel because the flow is so much stronger. But that is something I enjoy.

Oh, also, I was reading about keeping water temps down for goldfish in summer. Is it really important? Over the weekend what water got up to 80F or so. I think once summer gets here we'll have the A/C on so I'm not as concerned. I just don't want them to get too hot. I do keep plenty of air pumped into the water all the time.

Oh, also, I was reading about keeping water temps down for goldfish in summer. Is it really important? Over the weekend what water got up to 80F or so. I think once summer gets here we'll have the A/C on so I'm not as concerned. I just don't want them to get too hot. I do keep plenty of air pumped into the water all the time.

As long as you have good aeration, goldfish will do fine at 80F. It is time to worry only if they are gasping at the surface for air, or very lethargic at high temp ... not usually a problem until you get into heat waves of 90+.

Back
Top Bottom