Goldfish Feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been feeding my goldies tropical flakes(didnt know this ws a no-no) once a day. Yesterday I got goldfish flakes and pellets. Now the instructions say to feed 2-3 daily. Should I feed them according to the instructions or continue once a day.

The_Desacrator said:
I have been feeding my goldies tropical flakes(didnt know this ws a no-no) once a day. Yesterday I got goldfish flakes and pellets. Now the instructions say to feed 2-3 daily. Should I feed them according to the instructions or continue once a day.

What kid of goldfish do you have? I they're fancy ones or irregularly shaped the bet food are sinking pellets.

They are all Ryukins. One is red, another is red and white, and the last is a calico.

The pellets indeed sink. I have four cory cats as clean up. They won't get affected by eating the leftover pellets right?

Its up to you how you feed them, you can do every other day, once a day, or a couple of times a day. I used to feed my fish a couple of times a day, because for one i kept my tank at around 80 so they had a higher metabolism, but i would give them really small portions, so as not to overfeed

The_Desacrator said:

Ok firstly of all get rid of any flakes u have! Flakes increase the chance of bloating. Which in turn leads to swimming bladder disorder.

Now feeding schedule. U should feed 6 times a week and have one day of fasting to allow ur goldies system to rest and clean itself out! Do u have access to bloodworms and frozen peas? I feed my goldfish one of each once a week! The other 4 days u can feed them pellets! The amount of pellets is really up to u to investigate. But 5-10pellets each depending on the size of the pellets. What brand is ur pellets?

Just to give u an idea of how mine works here's timeline
Monday- NLS goldfish pellets
Tuesday- hikari bloodworms
Wednesday-NLS goldfish pellets
Thursday-greenpeas
Friday-fasting
Saturday-NLS goldfish pellets
Sunday- frozen food named goldfish gourmet or vegetarian (something like that gaha)

Not Alot of people will agree with my schedule! But I like to give varieties! :)

Hope this helps

O ya didnt really answer Ur questions. Ermm I feed mine once a day. That's only because I have one 10+year old fantail so there's no need to do feed more than once a day. However when I had juveniles, fry or trying to breed, I feed small amount 2-3 times a day but that comes with more pwc! :)

Once a day is more than sufficient

OK I'll see if I can return the flakes. The pellets are tiny. Maybe like a centimeter long each.

The brand is Omega One.

I have access to blood worms and I feed them 2-3 times a week.(used to have angels in the same tank)

My schedule will probably be something like:
Sunday - fasting
Monday - Live Blood Worms
Tuesday - Pellets
Wednesday - Pellets
Thursday - Peas
Friday - Pellets
Saturday - Pellets

Is this acceptable?

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum, it is better than Hikari or Omega One IME. Peas are fine but I wouldn't do the bloodworms in any form.

OK I'll see if I can return the flakes. The pellets are tiny. Maybe like a centimeter long each.

That is not tiny! 1 cm is koi pellets .... maybe you mean 1 mm?? If you have 1 cm pellets, I would return those too. :)

For small goldfish 1 mm pellets are good. Bigger fish can take 3 mm pellets.

Anyway, your schedule looks OK, but i would add a veggie day .... Peas, or whatever. Fancy goldies do much be3tter with more veggies in their diet. <For me, veggies are just extras ..... veggies day means both pellets & veggies.>

Once or twice a day, it is up to you. Of course, if you are feeding multiple times a day, you would feed less per feed.

The_Desacrator said:

The brand is Omega One.

I have access to blood worms and I feed them 2-3 times a week.(used to have angels in the same tank)

My schedule will probably be something like:
Sunday - fasting
Monday - Live Blood Worms
Tuesday - Pellets
Wednesday - Pellets
Thursday - Peas
Friday - Pellets
Saturday - Pellets

Is this acceptable?

Looks cool. But live bloodworms can be abit risky as it may carry parasites and disease. Unless u have a reliable supplier stay with frozen! Don't get freeze-dried!

And omega one sounds good! Heard lots of good things about it! :)

Back
Top Bottom