Goldfish - help me please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. This is my first post on this forum. I have a goldfish who over the last week or so has suddenly stopped swimming, seems quite fat, and doesn't move off the bottom of the tank. When I clean him out, he normally tries to jump everywhere, but now he hardly moves. He has a filter in his tank, and nothing has changed with his environment or food. I can't work it out, and don't want to see him die. Any advice from anyone really would be appreciated. :cry:

10.gif

A couple of questions:

1. What size tank?
2. How long has it been set up?
3. How old is the fish?
4. Do you have a test kit, and if so what are the results?
5. How do you clean it?

I will try to help the best I can!

Hi. Thanks for your response. I have answered your questions below.

1) Tank size is 14" x 9" x 8"

2) Tank has been set up for about 12 months. Only thing to have changed recently was the gravel about 2 months ago.

3) Fish is 12 months old.

4) I haven't got a test kit.

5) Clean it just using water, no cleaners or chemicals.

He is literally lying on the gravel not moving. No visble signs of anything on his fins or anything. Its only happened in the last week. Tonight he seems worse. He is lying on the gravel with his head up.

Any advice or help you could give would be great, I don't want to lose him.

Many thanks.

In my experience a sluggish fish with no other signs of diesease is due to poor water quality, or water not suitable for the fish. so take a close look, look if his tail fins seem clumped together or anything abnormal.
You said:
allday said:
5) Clean it just using water, no cleaners or chemicals.
Goldfish are very good with water conditions, and all I can think of is if you know about adding water conditioner when you change water to kill chlorine right? If you havn't been doing so then theres your answer. Also it could be from stress, has your fish been subjected to dramatic temperature changes in water lately?

the water temperature hasn't changed, and I do use something to condition the water, and leave it to aclimatize before he goes into it. His fins aren't cumped together. There isn't anything abnormal about him. He is now doing his best to keep off his side, but is struggling.

thanks. he's lying on his side now, struggling to breath. don't think there is anything else I can do for him sadly.

Whats your filter like? The oxygen in the water could not be high enough, I doubt it but everything else has been checked out. What kind of filter is it? Also, when you clean your tank, how do you do so? Its worth a shot. I don't want to be a bummer but it dosn't sound very bright, but I'm rooting for your fish man. Goldfish are very hardy as far as the levels in the water are concerened, although theyre definitly not invinsible. A cheap test kit would probably be a good idea at this point.

Well, it always seems everyone seems to find this site at the wrong time. But as conan said.

:band: Welcome! :band:

Back
Top Bottom