Goldfish in a tropical tank for temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esoteric Backbone

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend just bought a goldfish (impulse buy) because she thought it was the "cutest and most prettiest fish" and she just had to have it. She didn't take into consideration that she has no tank.... she realised this after buying it.....

Anywho, I'm wondering if she could put into my 20gl with my fish,

x2 mollies
x1 platy
x1 gold gourami
x1 emperor tetra
x1 silver tipped tetra
x1 african dwarf frog
x1 mystery snail
x1 BN pleco
x1 bamboo shrimp
x2 fiddler crabs
x5 platy fry

until I get my spare 20gl going?

you cant keep the fiddler crabs in there,they need land access and brackish water.i also dont think you should have teh ADF in there,they are almost blind and willn have troubke getting food in there.also,i would say you are already overstockd,so you should either rehome some of your current fish and put the goldy in the 20,or rehome the goldy and put some of your current fish in the 20.

alLexX said:
you cant keep the fiddler crabs in there,they need land access and brackish water.i also dont think you should have teh ADF in there,they are almost blind and willn have troubke getting food in there.also,i would say you are already overstockd,so you should either rehome some of your current fish and put the goldy in the 20,or rehome the goldy and put some of your current fish in the 20.

+1. See if she can give the prettiest fish away. Goldfish don't mix with tropicals anyway.

Goldfish being so messy and producing a high Bio load would need a fifteen at least by itself. At an adult size at least.

actually,the minimum tank size for 1 fancy goldy is a 20.

The ADF has no problems eating, we have had him for more then a year. I told her to take the goldfish back, and asked the guy if he could hold it for awhile, while I get another 20gl setup.

so,your going to get the goldfish back when the other 20 is done cycling? i suggest you permanently rehome the goldy,comets get BIG.

Temperature wise I think it would be okay, my goldie tank (comets) gets up to tropical temps on hot days and they're fine. Though it might try and have a go at some of your tropicals - the shrimp could get eaten :s

Back
Top Bottom