Goldfish instead of candy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, we cannot dictate how each kid is educated in the art of fish keeping. That's why there's great people like us on a forum like this to help them along :).
Oh yeah, that is totally true. I am just saying that I enjoy being part of a system that teaches them about fish in a different way. I know that some of the kids were so thrilled about the trout. I do not think fish should be viewed as disposable and thats the message I personally feel is conveyed by somebody giving goldies out to random kids. But, it would be awesome if parents stepped up and took the opportunity to teach kids. Again, just my opinion. You viewed the action differently, and thats ok. To each his own.

I am also going to say that I feel like jeta made a valid point/query awhile ago.

I agree. I like to think that most people would step up, but everyday I am proven wrong. I haven't given up on humanity just yet! About cats and dogs? We are getting into a topic that has nothing to do with fish on a basic level. Fish kept in an aquarium DO NOT posses the same mental capacity and capabilities of a cat or dog. As a zoologist, I can promise you this. Fish learn patterns. That is it. They do not care who gives them food, or how they get it, only that they eat. You can not compare a goldfish to a cat or dog! My dog Anabell would offended!

I used to believe that less intelligent animals somehow didn't deserve good treatment: that because they were "stupid" their lives and suffering were of little importance or could be disregarded.

I now believe that intelligence has nothing to do with an animal's capacity to suffer and feel pain, as this occurs at a very basic level in the brain. In short, you don't need to be Einstein to feel pain from a burn. It requires, essentially, no intelligence.

Therefore an organism's ability to do calculus, or play fetch, or distinguish caretakers has no bearing on it's ability to suffer, or the validity of its suffering.

I wasn't talking about their ability to feel pain. Which, by the way, its a known fact fish don't have neurological sensors capable of distinguishing pain from comfort , but I was making a point that you can't compare a fish to a dog or cat based on a dog or a cat's ability to make a legitimate connection to their owner other than recognizing they need food. If you read my other posts I explain that fish just simply are not capable of forming that sort of connection. You can say that Im calling them stupid, but in actuality I am saying based on evolution( the thing you claim to love but know nothing about), they are genetically incapable of "feeling". It's fact. You say I'm wrong, I say I'm an educated person that doesnt force my opinions on people because I think that by adding IMO I'm suddenly an expert. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom