Goldfish kissing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefanij07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone know why goldfish kiss? I just brought home a new calico goldfish and they started kissing my lionhead goldfish after a few hours. Should I be concerned?

Hi! Do you mean kissing on the mouth or kissing/nudging other parts of the body? I have never seen goldfish kiss each other on the mouth but anything is possible and goldfish are very social creatures. 'Kissing' or nudging other parts of the body is classic breeding behavior. Breeding behaviors can become aggressive, so keep an eye on everybody and seperate the parties if one is being overly harrassed, stressed or injured.

Yes, they actually "kiss" on the mouth. I'm not sure the sex on either fish, but I am worried it was more of a dominance thing because I just bought the one calico fish and put in the tank that day. They wouldn't breed so quickly, would they? :thanks:

Thats funny! I have never seen goldfish do this (dominance behavior in other types fish, yes). As long as everbodys being civil & no one is being stressed or injured, I wouldnt be too concerned. :)

Back
Top Bottom