Goldfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vindu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to having aquariums but have been doing a lot of reading. I recently competed cycling my tank ( 25g ). I have one fantail goldfish which pretty close to the limit for this tank. The question is will this goldfish be lonely? I gotten mixed info on this from searching on google. And if I add an additional goldfish won't that make my tank overstocked?

1- goldfish are schooling so ideally they are in a school. The exact minimum number of a school varies from person to person and is arbitrary, butI consider it to be 6. So try to get as close to this as possible (not really an option in a 25).

2-Tank stocking has more to do with water changes than tank volume. You could have two goldfish in there as long as you do enough water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change. The basic guide of 20 gallons for one and an additional 10 for each additional goldfish is a godo guide, but it is that, a guide. It is not a rule. Your water changes can make one in a 55 overstocked, or two in your 25 perfectly fine.

You could definitely do one more goldfish, imo. It would keep your goldie company and 25 would be close to ideal for 2 as long as you were vigilant on your water changes and parameters.

Fishguy2727 said:
1- goldfish are schooling so ideally they are in a school. The exact minimum number of a school varies from person to person and is arbitrary, butI consider it to be 6. So try to get as close to this as possible (not really an option in a 25).

2-Tank stocking has more to do with water changes than tank volume. You could have two goldfish in there as long as you do enough water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change. The basic guide of 20 gallons for one and an additional 10 for each additional goldfish is a godo guide, but it is that, a guide. It is not a rule. Your water changes can make one in a 55 overstocked, or two in your 25 perfectly fine.

This makes sense. Which causes me to ask another question, mixing fantails and comets. Some say you can do this but just ensure that the comet is not eating all the food. Thoughts?

Comets (and other long-bodied goldfish) are way too large and active for that size tank. I would say minimum 75-125 gallons before you consider them. There are more than enough varieties of round-bodied aka fancy goldfish to choose from.

You will be fine with two fancies in a 25g. Just keep up on your water changes. I do 50% changes weekly.

When they get bigger you can also upgrade your filter to one for a 50gal. Adding some plants will help with your nitrates too.

Also adding plants will help with their dietary needs. Giving them blanched shelled peas twice a week will also help.

Also I wouldn't add a comet. Not only would the tank not be big enough but fancies have a hard time competing with single tailed fish.

Goldfish really should not be kept with out at least one other goldfish. That's just my opinion though.

Dwohlge1 said:
You will be fine with two fancies in a 25g. Just keep up on your water changes. I do 50% changes weekly.

When they get bigger you can also upgrade your filter to one for a 50gal. Adding some plants will help with your nitrates too.

Also adding plants will help with their dietary needs. Giving them blanched shelled peas twice a week will also help.

Also I wouldn't add a comet. Not only would the tank not be big enough but fancies have a hard time competing with single tailed fish.

Goldfish really should not be kept with out at least one other goldfish. That's just my opinion though.

+1

Fantails do much better together than mixing with comets IMO. Filtration is important since goldies are so messy and I'd suggest filtering for at least double your tank size plus lots of regular PWC will keep the tank healthy for them. Anacharis is a great addition to any goldfish tank since they love to munch on it, it's cheap and can float or be planted. Keep in mind that goldies like to tear plants up so don't plan on it staying in place long and it sucks up no3 like nothing else I've found.

Thanks for the info. I never thought about stocking levels in term of water parameters but it makes sense. Right now my nitrates are almost not readable after 5 days and I do have a moss ball and an anubias plant in the tank currently.

Cool. Also make sure to give them a balanced diet of quality foods. Have fun!

Dwohlge1 said:
Cool. Also make sure to give them a balanced diet of quality foods. Have fun!

Some places say that flakes are all they need?

Mr. Limpet said:
Nope, NLS Thera A is really good, but I like to mix it up with different brands. also veggies are good for goldies. Peas (shelled), zucchini, spinach, squash are all good too. Peas (shelled) once a week helps clean them out :p.

+1

Flakes float and cause them to inhale air which is bad for their swim bladder. I feed mine NLS sinking 3mm pellets or Omega One Sinking and then give them blanched peas with shells removed twice a week. I also treat them to some frozen brine shrimp once a week.

Oh just make sure you don't over feed them

Vindu said:
Is that the frozen green peas?

Didn't know there was a diferent kind of pea besides green, but yes.

I keep a bag of frozen peas, take a few out and defrost/shell them and feed them to my Moors. They freak out and do battle to see who can get the most lol.

Pellets are much better than flakes. They are much cleaner and fill them up better. On average pellets are higher quality. Just get the NLS Thera+A and watch them color up for you.

Then you just have to keep the water quality up and they should be good to go for years.

How large are the pellets? My goldfish are still really small, like 1 to 1.5 inches body.

Mr. Limpet said:
Didn't know there was a diferent kind of pea besides green, but yes.

I keep a bag of frozen peas, take a few out and defrost/shell them and feed them to my Moors. They freak out and do battle to see who can get the most lol.

Yeah I'm originally from the Caribbean, the are more types of peas trust me.

Is that 1.5 without tail? Because my Oranda is about 2 in without the tail. And he does fine with NLS 3mm.

There is also NLS 1mm which are very tiny pellets.

My omega one pellets are probably 4mm and the small fish just nibble at it when they eat it

The Thera+A comes in 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, and larger. Even small goldfish can take the 2 or 3mm without issues.

Fishguy2727 said:
The Thera+A comes in 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, and larger. Even small goldfish can take the 2 or 3mm without issues.

So if I use these pellets do I still need to use the peas?

Back
Top Bottom