Goldfish Tank Size Requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is probably going to be a dumb and obvious question, but I cant think of it lol. Why do grown goldfish need a minimum of 55 gallons EACH... I understand why one would need it, but wouldnt like a 75 gallon work for twoÉ (sorry question mark isnt working, just does thisÉ)
Why do they need that much extra space when theyre always swimming beside each other anywaysÉ
Again, this is probably dumb, and Im not asking to try and get away with anything, im just very curious... they arent territorial against each other...

Not sure where you got 55g per goldie, because that's a ridiculous number that seems to get passed around on occasion. The rule of thumb is 20g for the first goldie and 10g for each one you add. IMO this is more a guideline, but it does fit better.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Because they get anywhere from 8" to 12" to 24" long. They need room to swim.

Are we talking about fancy/round-bodied or pond/long-bodied?

For fancies I would say minimum 75 gallon tank since they liketo school. That allows for a school of six going by the 20+10 guide.

For long bodieds I would say 125 minimum for a school of six because they are more active.

Keep in mind water quality is vital in this equation. You must be able to keep the nitrate concentraiton below 20ppm before a water change or you are overstocked.

Also keep in mind that pond goldfish don't really get bigger, it is just that fancies are smashed together and round instead of long, the mass is usually about the same.

Any pics of 24" goldfish?

No, but 24" would be for common goldfish. Apparently in ponds they actually get that long.
Edit: Up to 18" would be normal for commons in a pond. 24" is the maximum I guess.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
No, but 24" would be for common goldfish. Apparently in ponds they actually get that large.

8" in a tank, if it's a well bred and cared for, I can see that. 12" is at/around the top end for ponds, but 24"? Never happen unless it's a genetic morph. The largest recorded common is 18" and being a life long fisherman, I've heard some whopper fish stories so even that is suspect lol.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/CommonGoldfish.php#Size - Weight:

8" for a common, IMO, is not well cared for.
I think we should agree to disagree because IMO goldfish don't belong in 20 gallon tanks.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
8" for a common, IMO, is not well cared for.
I think we should agree to disagree because IMO goldfish don't belong in 20 gallon tanks.

I agree that we'll agree to disagree ;) and yes we all have our personal thoughts on what's right.

But given that the market average is between 4 & 7", with 8" being on the high side, IMHO it's a reasonable number for a tank fish and not a pond dweller.

As for a school of 6 goldies in a tank that fishguy commented on? That's a rarity, as most are single or paired up.

My big Moor (paired) is over 8" total, but more than 1/2 of him is tail, so I classify him as a 4" fish. But he does know how to flash his tail, so we do give him high marks for style :).

They are schooling though so it should be suggested that they are kept in schools and not alone or in pairs.

Fishguy2727 said:
They are schooling though so it should be suggested that they are kept in schools and not alone or in pairs.

I understand what you're saying but that's not they way they're marketed, nor is it the norm amongst most people keeping goldies.

My paired Moors are completely content with each other and when we added a 3rd (fancy fantail), they literally snubbed the little guy for quite sometime and I felt bad for him :(. Now they're all good :).

30g for the first fancy goldfish and an additional 10g for each additional fancy goldfish. Use a filter rated for at least twice the tank volume to keep the water clear.

I wouldn't put a long-body goldfish in an aquarium. There's too much risk of stunting it.

Unfortunately they are marketed for bowls and 10 gallons as starter fish. On a forum like this people are looking for the ideal way to keep things, not the good enough way. The proper way to keep schooling fish is in a school.

They definitely have their own personalities though, so some that have been together for a while may take some time to welcome a new guy.

Fishguy2727 said:
Unfortunately they are marketed for bowls and 10 gallons as starter fish. On a forum like this people are looking for the ideal way to keep things, not the good enough way. The proper way to keep schooling fish is in a school.

They definitely have their own personalities though, so some that have been together for a while may take some time to welcome a new guy.

I know what you mean, but the bulk of the goldie market (fish in general) doesn't fit the mold people here are in.

Yeah, I figured it was a "gotta prove yourself punk" kinda thing lol.

Hey GoldfishNewbie :) Ah more of those wonderful contributions from the folks at yahoo answers right LOL. They are always saying that over there about the 55 gals. IMHO a 55 would really be ideal to keep a few in, but a pair in a 40 is okay with at least double filtration. They do have large bio-loads so it's a little more difficult to keep their water perfect than for alot of tropical fish.

Well right now I have 4 (2 fancies, and 2 commons) that are all around 2 inches each... people suggest I get rid of my commons and keep the fancies, but I just love my common goldfish so much :( I think even more than my fancies (I feel like a bad owner lol)... So I'd Prefer to keep my commons... I was told 55 gallons for one because they can grow so big... but how much would you suggest for 2? I don't want to be cruel, but where I live no one can keep pond fish... its just not an option since it gets -30 celcius here... peoples ponds would just be complete ice.. so it's not like they'd have a better home anywhere else in this town, assuming I get a proper sized tank... right now my 2 commons are in a 50 gallon while its cycling (I had no experience and had my four fish in a 20 gallon...) so they're in the tank then I was gonna add my fancies...(or give them away) the filtration is for a 110 g tank, but what would be best for them? (I know, Im most likely just making excuses to keep my commons, but i really love them lol)

Commons don't belong in aquariums. Have you actually looked into rehoming them? Parts of the pond won't freeze if it's deep enough, so people might have ponds. If it's 100% impossible to rehome, I suppose it'd be better that you keep it rather than be kept in a bowl somewhere else. But I really think a 125g would be much better in that case.

If the tank is large enough they are fine in a tank, but like I said before I would say 125 minimum.

i'll look into a 125 gallon :D I won't be able to get it anytime soon though, but they're only 2 inches right now so will they be ok for a while?

I think so. When they do start growing you should act fast though. The whole "I'll upgrade when they outgrow the tank" is a common notion, but it never happens. (That's not to say you won't actually upgrade!) Stunting is an awful thing; So when they start growing more definitely get going on the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom