goldfish tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saulog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so i have a 75 gal tank...just abt done with cycling..i have three shubunkin goldfish, one common goldfish and one common pleco kept in a tank with two gouramis. i want to move the goldfish and the pleco to my 75 gal since they need cooler water and more space. but i would like to know what other tank mates would be good to house together with the goldfish. also are two gouramis and 6 tetras good for a 20 gal tank?

I think you're pushing the limits of your 75g tank with those fish already. Your common pleco will get 18"+ and will put a huge bioload on your tank. The common goldfish also has the potential to reach 18".

For the 20g, a single gourami and a group of tetras is good.

Well it depends on the tetra.
But yeah the 75 is pretty stocked they will get bigger.
For the 20 gal a gourami and six bleeding hearts, rummynose and lemons

What they said. My 55 has 2 goldies, a pleco, and 4 panda corys. As they grow I may have to sell though if I don't find a bigger aquarium. It'll suck if/when the day comes to let them go.

yeah i guess my 75 gal is good with just those 5.and my tetras are red eye tetras

yeah i guess my 75 gal is good with just those 5.and my tetras are red eye tetras

Your guess is incorrect with what is being said. The bioload will be insane once those godies and the pleco get bigger. That's what everyone is trying to warn you of.

Good luck though. :p

Your guess is incorrect with what is being said. The bioload will be insane once those godies and the pleco get bigger. That's what everyone is trying to warn you of.

Good luck though. :p

yeah but what can i do now? i already have them

I have to warn you that the common pleco, when big (like 12-18") may attack the goldfish. So you might want to plan ahead for the day when it gets too big to live in the 75 with the goldies. The only truly safe pleco with goldfish (esp. the fancies) are the dwarfs (like rubberlip & bristlenose).

Your 4 goldies will pretty much max out the 75 when full grown. <Some would also say that the commons don't belong in tanks, & should go to a pond when it gets to be 12" or so.> You don't really have much choice for tankmates when those goldies are full grown. Perhaps some snails (say Japanese trapdoor or nerites)

Again, what they said. ^

Rehome them meaning get a bigger aquarium or sell them to someone that has one. Ponds are always an option.

Goldfish are schoolers, so they should be in groups of six or more. Most people think that long-bodied goldfish (shubunkins, sarassas, comets, commons, etc.) should be in at least a six foot long 125 gallon tank since their bodies along can hit 12"+ each. Round-bodied goldfish (fantails, ryukins, orandas, moors, ranchus, etc.)are less active and are a more appropriate goldfish for a 75.

The common pleco really has no place in this hobby, no more than a pacu or arowana. Get rid of it while you still can and get a more appropriate pleco. I sugest bristlenose. They will eat any kind of algae, live in any temp or ph water, and stay small. I did have a rubberlip chew up the sides and take an eye out of a fancy goldfish one time, so I do not consider them safe with fancy goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom