Goldfish tankmates: Just say NO?! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipops

Aquarium Advice Regular
Mr. Sunshine is my beloved common goldfish <3 he's ~6 in long (he's a big boy!) and I started caring for him about 6 weeks ago :)

He's about to move into a 55 gallon (thank goodness... he's WAY to big for a 10 gallon!!!!! D:) and I keep tossing around the idea of tankmates....

Pretty much....... is the answer just, NO?

My #1 concern is Mr. Sunshine, so I don't want anything that might be aggressive towards him or might hurt him!

I'm not really interested in getting more FISH... (at least not in the classic fish-shaped sense: :fish2::fish1:) Mr. Sunshine is my one and only <3 Besides, he's pretty big... I don't wanna doom other fish to be his meal!

But I mean, I think an algae eater would be great but it's not worth it to have some bristlenose plecco or rubber lip plecco go sucking at his slime :(

I've also heard that bottom dwelling weather/dojo loaches are great housekeepers! And if they're big enough, Mr. Sunshine wont make a meal of them! My substrate is sand too, so i think they'd love it, AND they're adorable :)

buuuut.... I'd want it to be in a group... Can I add weather loaches to my 55 gallon WITH Mr. Sunshine and not be overstocked....?? How many COULD I add...?

Should I JUST SAY NO and quit thinking about tank mates for him...?

Your answer to adding more fish mainly depends on the filtration you plan to have on the 55g and your water change schedule. Sounds like you've done some research about compatible fish, however it's important that you get the new tank cycled before adding any more. Nice move getting a larger tank. Mr. Sunshine will be happier for a while, but unfortunately will eventually outgrow it. Commons get pretty large.

My bristlenose do not suck the sides of their tank mates. Dojo's might be better from a temperature stand point

My bristlenose do not suck the sides of their tank mates. Dojo's might be better from a temperature stand point

I've love to put him with some golden dojos <3 I love them! But I'm concerned about long-term growth...

That would be my excuse (reason) to buy a new stand

Back
Top Bottom