Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Goldies - can I get a real quote on size?

Sooooo, I've been researching goldfish lately. I haven't completely decided on what to do with my empty 55 gallon tank. My latest option (hehe, I need AT LEAST three 55 gallon tanks to make myself happy..oh and one 90 gallon) was a heavily planted goldfish tank. However, I don't think I really like any of the fancy goldfish, they just look... well I don't really like them. Though I have to admit some of them are growing on me. However, I prefer the more stream-line and active goldies. So, could I get the full size of these goldfish:

shubunkin
comets
wakins
jinkins

I've google searched them all but I've found so many different answers that I don't know what to believe. So, if anyone has any experience with FULL GROWN versions of these fish, please let me know. I know a 55 gallon tank is itty-bitty and I personally don't think anything over 10 inches should live in it. And even that is cutting it close. Thanks so much!!

Old 08-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Have you considered some of the fantails? They don't grow near as long, and can be very active. Lionheads, orandas, ryukins can all be awesome. Are you sure they can't grow on ya? They'll max out around...6 inches probably. That's my opinion. I'm longing for enough space to do a goldie tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The one good thing about being a college student is I have very little furniture and plenty of perfect spots for fish tanks

Sometimes I think I might like the fantails, but I think I just prefer more active fish. I wish I could find someone nearby with a real goldfish aquarium that was kept well and stocked right so I could see just how active and personable they might be. Instead I've only seen the unfortunate bowl-bound goldfish who eventually die

The telescope, celestial and bubble eyed ones creep me out. I keep thinking they have popeye or some weird disease
Old 08-20-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Rubysoho - My mom in law kept a fantail for 9 years. Yep, 9 years (he passed away right before New Years). He was just adorable. He was in a 20 gal tank all by himself and when resting, he would put his mouth on the water surface and his tail almost reached the bottom.. Those fins of his/hers were to die for.

During the few times I was present to see him eat...my goodness...you would have thought he was chewing the flakes...each one...one at a time. It was a sight to behold.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Quote:
celestial
I think they are SOOOO Cute. Specially from above. e.e
Old 08-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha, yeh. I know they are liked/loved by a lot of people, just not my cup of tea I guess.

JC, thanks for the description of that fantail. I still haven't ruled them out, just want to see them a few more times before I make my decision. Perhaps I could keep some smaller white clouds to provide some movement in the tank if I were to go with the fantails.

I also can't wait to face the challenge of planting the tank with goldies. I've found some very nice examples in the internet though so I am excited about that.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
I think comets can get up over a foot. Maybe to two feet? I froget. Lionheads are my favorite goldfish, though, and fantails.
29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Do you have the scientific names for the fish your intrested in?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

shubunkin - Carassius auratus
comets - Carassius auratus
wakins - Carassius auratus
jinkins - Carassius auratus

hehe, you can see my delimma. Seriously, that was the ONLY scientific name I could find for all of those, and all facy goldfish. This is worse than plecos IMO.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

And for good reason...they are all carps. LOL.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Hehe. S'hard to tell what anyone's talking about with goldfish, isn't it? >.> S'many common names as all the variants have.
29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, they are all the same species and would have the same scientific name. Just different body styles, kinda like people!

Planted Goldie tank? wouldn't the goldies endlessly munch on the plants? I think that most of the goldies can be counted on to reach the 6 to 8 inch size. The real fanatics would put a 55 gal tank at 3 goldies. Four tops. I have seen anywhere from 15 to 20 gals per goldie recommended. My wife has a 55 gal goldie tank. We have gone up to four, but now are down to two and a pleco. We have had 3 or four just up and die after 6 months. The two left are just never bothered by anything.

Nice thing about fancy goldies is that you can go with minimal decorations, the fish are decorative enough. You need a good diet for them, not just the goldfish flakes sold. A poor diet leads to swim bladder problems and constipation and bloating.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #13
zacdl

All pondfish.

If I were you I wouldnt attempt this tank, do you know how big these fish get?

shubunkin- basically the same thing as a comet, just colored differant
comets- can grow to 2' long, and are VERY messy (although not as bad as koi)
wakins- I love these things! They are a comet... basically, but tend to stay smaller, less than 1' in lenghth. Its a fish from Japan (They are like the comet over here, comets are very common here, wakin are just as common there).
I hope you are planning on spending some money having these shipped in from a good breeder, because to get a quality fish is not cheap (I would say around $150 for 4 small ones, shipped)
jinkins- never kept one myself, so I really cant say much.

If I were you I would not try any of these fish in a 55.

You may be able to try a few Wakins, they stay fairly small (and are cool fish!)

Comets will get too big, and shubunkins are a comet just bred to look a little differant.

If you really want to keep some of these fish consider an outdoor pond.

Also... Goldfish love Anacharis, Hornwort, Camoba (spelling?). They will eat this quite often, so I would stay away from those.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
do you know how big these fish get?
the reason I started this thread was to find out how big these fish would get.

Anyway, for a planted goldfish tank, it can be done quite nicely. I suggest anyone interested to check out this link:

http://www.goldfishparadise.com/society/totm.php

So, I checked liveaquaria.com (not sure why this site didn't occure to me before since I usually go there first!) and they're estimate was about 14 inches for most of those fish I listed I trust them because they've been spot on for a lot of other fish so obviously that goes past my maximum of a 10 inch fish (which was still pushing the limits in my opinion for a 55 gallon tank). I like black moores and ryunkins so I think I will be looking into them a bit more. Any suggestions would be great! Or not even suggestions, but I want to hear about personalities and if these fish are active at all. Just stories in general would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Of the fish your talking about keeping I really like black moores.. I was only around them to sell them but they seem to be curious georges.. :P
Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've seen some monster fancy golds (Ryukin, Oranda, Lionhead, Moore) throughout the years. Just a few months back I visited my LFS where they had some mixed extra large varieties that highly resembled a High School sized football (namely the Ryukin). They were roughly 12-14" long (and had some HUGE guts on them. lol). They were selling for $50 too!!!! I agree, in a 55 gal, I wouldn't exceed 4; especially when they start to get to be a monster size
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

most definatly agree with the limitation on the number of fish. I was planning on 3 or 4 max with a possible *small* school of danios or white clouds just to add some activity. This will also be a heavily planted tank so that will help with keeping toxins down.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yes, I forgot about your note about planting. Don't let ANYONE discourage you about doing it. Yes, goldfish like plants, but my tank (29 gal, w/two goldies) is slowly becoming fully planted and my fish don't eat the plants at any rate of alarm. I've actually yet to see any leaf that looks like it's been nibbled nor have I had any plants be uprooted. It will probably be a challenge for you, but just don't let anyone discourage you.
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeh, I figured it was a challege but I think I will be okay with that Infact, I really look forward to it if this is the way I decide I want to go. There are some many people who I've heard say that goldfish and plants will never mix and you can't have a nicely planted tank with them ever. I'd like to try and prove that thought wrong and after seeing some nice pictures I am excited. I've decided to go with some tougher plants to start out with just in case though. I have some really nice anubias a friend is holding for me from before I had to take my tank down to collect on the warrenty (looooong story).

Anyway, thanks for the support!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #20
zacdl

If you notice most planted tanks with goldfish in them dont have Anacharis or hornwort or cambomba.

Goldfish love this stuff. I am sure you know how fast Anacharis grows, the goldfish in the pond eat it so fast I have to put a bunch of it in a corner to where they cant get it just so they wont eat it.

14" is underestimation. I have seen them 24".

4 at fullsize will be too many even, I wouldnt even stick ONE at full size in there, it would be too small of tank.

Tags
die, goldie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com