Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Good algae eater

I have a couple of corys in a 20G tank and want to have a good algae eater. Personally, I was thinking about getting 1 or 2 oto's.

Any other suggestions?

Corydoras4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Maybe 3 or 4 otocinclus, or a single dwarf pleco, like a bristlenose or a rubberlip/rubbernose/bulldog. Also clown plecos don't get big, either.

The otocinclus I have had have been fabulous with diatoms (brown algae) but did not handle the green stuff. Don't know if that is always the case, or if mine were unusual in this regard.

You could also try to find a true SAE.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Otocinclus are probably your best bet though some of the smaller 'plecostomus'-type cats or a small Farlowella might also do the job for you.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
If your tank is planted you could do amano shrimp
Old 07-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have 3 oto's in my 55gal; they took care of all my brown algae in about 3 days. However, I have yet to see them work that diligently since, despite the return of some of the brown algae (but they do keep it down significantly.)

I also have several ghost shrimp. They do a wonderful job (although a little slow,) and they can reach some of the areas my oto's have a tendency to neglect.

All in all, I've been relatively happy with the shrimp and oto combination. I'd recommend either of them, depending on the tankmate plans or situation.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my winning combination has been SAE's, otos and shrimp. I have a heavily planted tank, so you may not need the SAE's. otos and shrimp are fun to watch and seem to do a pretty good job.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm bias towards the plecos. Mine seem to eat all algae.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:52 AM   #8

Thanks for your replies, people. I appreciate it!
Corydoras4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Otos are very cute and great in groups of 3 or more....but they will not eat green algae....they eat brown algae and raw cucumber...if you want to get rid of green algae I would recommend a Pleco.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

My plecos handle green algae (at least I assume they are - there is none in the tank) but there is tons of thread algae from my constant battle with tap phosphate levels, and the plecos don't touch it. Just got an SAE and he is getting fat as can be on the thread algae! Amanos are wicked on hair algae as well - fast!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Meiko
Plecos!!!!!!!! I'd get a common pleco... sure they get 2 feet big but that takes years! Meanwhile you can save up for a 400 gallon tank to house it once it's fully grown. @.@; When I was little I had a pet pleco.. He let me pet him! ><! He was soooooo cute! andandand, you could train him. @.@; and he'd follow your finger around. *wishful sigh* I'll be getting one for my 10 gallon tank, just a baby, and by the time he grows too big I'll have a bigger tank. That and the fish store said they'd let me return him if I wanted and trade for another baby if he ever grew too big for me. (Had to give my other pleco back to store when he got 8 inches *cries* I miss him.. )

In other words... PLECO POWER!!!!! ;;; (dwarf plecos are good too *nods* )

Tags
algae, algae eater, eat, eater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com