Good algae eater(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had some ottos and loved them but they keep disappearing, Im pretty sure my bichir is eating them. So any suggestions? That wouldn't be eaten.

I can't find any local stores that have them though, only chinese. And I don't wanna buy fish online unless I absolutely have to

Yea you don't wanna buy a chinese algae eater :lol: You can maybe find a user here that is selling.

If he is a big enough size, he is definitely eating them. I had to get rid of mine, he tried to take down one of my SAEs. You could try nerite snails or bristle nose plecos. SAEs will not be large enough for the bichir to not try to eat. The bristle nose, maybe. They are good at hiding. Snails should be fine.

But, why exactly are you having a need for algae eaters? If you have a properly balanced tank, then there really should be a reason to have them, minus to clean up here and there. Is it a planted tank?

No not planted. I just like to keep my tank spotless. I originally got the ottos to clean leaves of a couple fake plants then just ended up liking them a lot, they cleaned everything constantly.

no problemo :)

They are being sold as 2.5''-3'' so i'm guessing they would be ok with a bichir but i know nothing about them.

Oscarr19 said:
no problemo :)

They are being sold as 2.5''-3'' so i'm guessing they would be ok with a bichir but i know nothing about them.

I think that would be fine, he's only about 5-6 inches right now

HairlessPotter said:
I can't find any local stores that have them though, only chinese. And I don't wanna buy fish online unless I absolutely have to

Buying fish online has worked out very well for me and the fish are usually cheaper/ higher quality. Also all my fish stores (including petco) will order fish specifically for you. Just because you they don't normally stock them doesn't always mean they are unavailable.

joel618 said:
Buying fish online has worked out very well for me and the fish are usually cheaper/ higher quality. Also all my fish stores (including petco) will order fish specifically for you. Just because you they don't normally stock them doesn't always mean they are unavailable.

I just don't wanna pay shipping and I'm not 18 so I'd have to get my mom to do it for me, just be a pain. But I didn't know petco and stuff would specially order fish, that's awesome

I just don't wanna pay shipping and I'm not 18 so I'd have to get my mom to do it for me, just be a pain. But I didn't know petco and stuff would specially order fish, that's awesome

you can look into getting prepaid credit cards. Thats what i do.

Yeah, I have had PetCo special order a couple things for me. I am not sure how big the birchir gets... but make sure your algae eater doesn't get devoured later in its life. But, BN plecos are good at hiding so they are perhaps your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom