good aqaurium deals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dr_girlfriend said:
As for stands, thats where they completely rip you off. 150-300 bucks for mdf and veneer? If you improvise you can use something else for your stand (like a TV stand) for way cheaper and the same materials.

I paid $99 at Petsmart yesterday for a really nice wood and steel 55g stand with drawers and storage space. It is built very well, much stronger than my IKEA TV stand (it better be for all the weight it has to hold). If you are getting it new, I still think PetSmart is the place to go.

Used might be another story, but I like getting everything exactly the way I want it, and getting things used you often have to compromise on that.

If you live in around Los Angeles, the best place by far to get a good, dirt dang cheap larger tank is Paradise Tropical Fish in the San Fernando Vally. They sell tank, stand and normal strip light combos for wholesale to the public.

I as there the other day. here is what i found.

60g 48x17x15 + 24in. unfinished stand + light = $98us...seriously

80g same package $ 200 I think

100g same package- $220

135g same package- $250

The also sell complete packages for cheap

and have online prices for fluval filters

It does not have a company name anywhere on it or the box, so I think it must be PetSmart brand. It is style #06352 if that helps, really nice looking stand. How do I post pics?

If you have a pic on your computer, click on the Reply button in someone's post on this thread. It will bring up a new screen. Towards the bottom it will say: Add an attachment. Click the browse button and find the pic. Once you have found it and clicked OK (or open, not sure which one off hand) then click on Add Attachment.

You will most likely have to re-size the pic. It has to be under a certain size to be able to post in threads. After you have attached it successfully, click Submit. The picture will appear in the post.

one of my lfs has a 55 with a heater, emperor 280 (i think), and a 1 bulb light strip for 180. just price shop and ask about upcoming deals awhile before actually getting anything.

Here is my new 55g and stand ($280 total with tax), and my snowball pleco. The pic of the pleco is really dark though, he looks a lot different.

BTW that giant lump floating in my tank is the wood I am trying to get to sink :? Sorry I posted the pic twice, but I can't figure out how to delete them.

I buy everything seperate and and then I know exactly what I have and how it works.
:)

I buy everything seperate so i know exactly what it is I have in my tanks.

Rudy- read the description of the tank and you will see why it is $450. I agree, that is a little high, BUT, it is acrylic. If you go into the stores, it is more than likely cheaper.

They're equipped with a wet/dry filtration system which accomodates biological, chemical and mechanical filtration media, as well as space for a heater and SeaClear Protein Skimmer if needed (each sold separately). The tank itself is SeaClear's sparkling acrylic, with smooth rounded corners for great looks and safety.

If you are that good with woodworking then I would build my own tank. My local glass shop is the only one in town and I know they are priced super high but I can still build a mondo tank, It comes out to about $1 a gallon and that is paying $3.50 a square foot for 1/4 inch glass, any tank under 18 inches tall. I know most people can find the glass much cheaper and then you can build most anything you want for cheaper than a lfs or any other store will ever be able to beat. Also beats the daylights out of "specialty" tanks because the price is the same to build a rectancgle as it is an L shaped one and you don't get a 2-4 times markeup just for a special tank.

The only thing I wish is that I had more than 1 lfs to shop around in. Makes it really hard to find a deal when they corner the market.

That said, I got a 30 gallon bow front and 2 flourescent, 20 watt fixtures, a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon with other "useful" items for $50 from a local "too good to toss" site. There are also 2 55 gallon tanks for sale for $99 for full setups with fish, hood, filter gravel and everything. Used is the way to go but I would never buy one that has been sitting, only one that has fish in it and is already set up.

Back
Top Bottom