Good aqua scaping and possibly stocking ideas for a 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanetweedz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 cories and a bunch of guppies pics appreciated and also good plants for it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389315097.060749.jpg this is my all fake 26 gallon aqua scape. Personally I think it looks great if that helps :)

30 gals come in several different styles..do you know which you have? If not can you provide the dimensions? Some are longer and some taller and this can really affect your stocking options.

Looks to be a 26g bowfront. If so you have the same actual surface area as a standard 20g. You stock by surface area, not so much gallons. You can go to aquadvisor.com and input stocking ideas. OS.

The bowfront is Tommy10's tank ;)

Personally I'd recommend doing what you are doing here and discussing your stock ideas with others versus using AQadvisor...especially for more beginner hobbyists. The program is far from perfect IMO and there's too much it can overlook.

For tankmates you should get some more cory cats to start. They like being in groups. The bigger the gang the better. You could also get a pearl gourami, a bushy nose Pleco, and a couple swordtails.

As for aquascaping, I am a fan of the natural look. Brown/black sand or gravel, driftwood, and a couple rock "formations".

Do you want live plants? If so, what kind of light do you have? And do you plan on getting co2 and fertilizers and all that jazz?

To the OP:
I think Aquadvisor is a good resource as a source of information on all the species of fish they list(something like 900 different ones) that there is no way we can list here. Also a general guide to compatabilty issues as a beginning, general basis. It is no way the definitive guide in absolute certainty. There's no way we can give you all the fish options available to you. We can just give you our "opinions" based on just the fish we know. OS.

I got a group of 5 platies and a sailfin balloon molly that is with another sunset molly. I have a emerald Cory and a albino Cory. Also like 10 guppies and a bristle nosed Pleco all going to be transferred into my 30

Well then you are pretty much completely stocked. But I would still highly recommend a couple more of each cory, they really should be in groups. 5 or more is best.

Woah, I'm hoping all of those fish aren't actually in the 10 gallon right now... Also adding them all right away to a 30 you just purchased is too fast. You should stock slowly. I'm assuming you are doing a fish-in cycle which is fine, if done properly, but adding a bunch of thick bodied livebearers isn't the way to go IMO. Hopefully you have brought seeded filter media over from the other tank?

If it's a 30 gal tall tank it's not really big enough for cories that size or mollies because the footprint is too small. You didn't answer that question about the dimensions so I don't know.

A few mollies actually stocks a 30 gal tank on their own. They get huge (easily 4") and are very thick bodied creating a ton of waste. Platties have pretty significant bio-loads as well (all of the larger thick bodied livebearers do). You really need good filtration and a good water change schedule to keep that tank healthy. I believe you had said you have a power filter rated for 30 gallons, which I would recommend for a 15-20 gal tank. Once the tank is well established I would see how things are going for a while before you add the guppies from the 10 gal.

Balloon mollies are bred to be deformed like that with curved spines. This causes them swimming issues, various health problems, and usually shortened lifespan. Personally I recommend that going foward you purchase only the naturally shaped mollies.

Do you have a freshwater master test kit? What I've gathered from your other threads is that you have a bunch of guppies, a molly, a dwarf pleco, and a couple cories all in a 10 gal tank. That is really pretty hideously overstocked so I just want to make sure that you understand the nitrogen cycle? Those fish must be getting exposed to dangerous levels of toxins..I find it almost impossible to believe a 10 gal with that stock could have acceptable water parameters. You might want to slow down and read up on some of this stuff before you keep buying more fish. Just my 2 cents...

Yes I am moving them to the 30 in 2 days they got a new shipment and picked out the good ones I know it is over stocked

Back
Top Bottom