Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

good bacteria question

lost all my fish during the winter to a week long power outage
the filter was dry but the tank was half full of water with dirty water I drained the tank and cleaned the sand with the water from the tank
any chance that the nitroifing bacteria is still alive in the sand , there where a few small plants still alive in the tank and allgia
I filled the tank up with well water and im running my new dyi canister
I am hoping for a fast cycling

Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good Bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICEY View Post
lost all my fish during the winter to a week long power outage
the filter was dry but the tank was half full of water with dirty water I drained the tank and cleaned the sand with the water from the tank
any chance that the nitroifing bacteria is still alive in the sand , there where a few small plants still alive in the tank and allgia
I filled the tank up with well water and im running my new dyi canister
I am hoping for a fast cycling
Hello MIC...

Without the benefit of filtration moving the water surface and mixing oxygen into the tank water, it's doubtful the good bacteria survived after all that time. If you have the tank equipment up and running again, you can add fish slowly and test the tank water daily. You may not need to recycle the tank.

If you experience an outage this long again, you could use a pitcher and remove some tank water and pour it back into the tank every few hours. This surface movement would help. Small, frequent water changes will do the same job.

B

Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i lost the fish do to no heat not no filtration , had no heat for a week in feb.
also my well does not work with no power so water changes would be real hard
Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its possible, But more likely its just poop not good bacterial and will result in fungus.

Tags
bacteria, good bacteria, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com