Good barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr.waffles1842 said:
Anyone know some peaceful barbs? Thanks

Only one I'm familiar with are Cherry Barbs...don't confuse them with Rosy Barbs though which I've heard can be a bit nippy. Obviously Tigers aren't a good choice if you want to keep the peace.

This site lists a couple others and has some good info-
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/Small_Barbs/

Last edited:
Anyone know some peaceful barbs? Thanks

There's actually a few choices of peaceful Barbs .... See the link below. As others have mentioned, Cherry Barbs are peaceful and so are Checkered Barbs. Black Ruby Barbs are a fairly peaceful Barb Species that look similar to TigerBarbs but not as nip happy as Tigers.

If you can find them at a decent price (My Petsmart had them for $7 each .. can be as much as $25) and have a good size tank ... 55gal and up ... Denison Barbs are very peaceful. They get up to 6 inches why you need a lengthy tank.

TigerBarbs are the Fin nippy happy Barbs that need to be in a shoal of 6+ to keep them occupied with each other to curtail fin nipping ... no guarantees however:D.

Encyclopedia of Aquarium & Pond Fish - Google Books

If they'll be in a tank with other Barbs ... 3 should be ok. If their the only Barbs in the tank with other non Barbs then do 6. Give them a larger shoal. From what I've read, Cherry's do not shoal as much as other Barbs, they tend to be a bit more spread out than other Barbs.

I would definately go with 6 of the cherry barbs. They are not a really tight schooling fish, but they enjoy their own company.

I have 5 females and they are in a community tank with 5 male guppies. Never a problem. The cherrys are great.

Cherries are peaceful, not to mention easy to keep. Try six to a tank. If you want a specific sex, males are always brighter colored than females.

How big do golden barbs get? How many in a school?

They can get up to 4 inches ... I'd say keep at least 6 to a school in a tank with other non Barbs. In a tank with other Barbs you can do 2-4. My two actively swim with the other Barbs in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom