Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good betta tank companions?

I've done some research on compatible tank mates for bettas but I'm a bit confused. Most seem to agree that good tank mates include plecos, corycats, and shrimps but they seem divided on others such as tetras, guppies, etc. If anyone can give me their personal experiences that would be great! Also, are there any that are "fin eaters" that maybe the betta wouldn't hurt but that would hurt the betta? Thanks.

2 White Cloud tetras
2 otos
1 small albino bushynose pleco ("Ernie"
10 gal
1 male betta ("Bert")
1 gold nugget pleco ("Chloe")

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever you are, be a good one.

-Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
Keepers_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #2

Crustaceons (like shrimps and crabs), Mollusks (like snails), and frogs do well with mine.

If we're talking fish, I've kept mine with smaller-sized Tetras like Neons with no problems.

Just make sure the fish you want to put in there don't nip and don't have long, flowing fins.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Really depends on your tank size and the temperment of your particular betta.

Betta often eat ghost shrimp and there is a member even now having their ADF getting mauled by the betta it was with.

Most of our 20+ betta slurp up small snails like raw oysters and chew down the ghost shrimp., Some like cories and otos..some like nobody

Most tetras, danios and barbs are bad mates.
Mollies , platies and guppies are often the victim and not the nipper.
Bettas are an iffy fish when you talk about having company. If he is in a small tank (under 10 gal) and he was there first I would add fish cautiously..he may have decided his territory is the whole tank and act accordingly.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I found that when I kept a male betta in my community tank with tetras, it was not a good mix. However, when I kept a female betta in there, all was fine
There has been a bit written about bettas and shrimp tank mates--if you add some java fern (moss??), it gives the shrimp a place to hide according to one member. One member has bettas in a divided 10 gal with a cory in each section and they all get along fine. It really is up to the betta!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com