Good betta tank companions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keepers_girl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've done some research on compatible tank mates for bettas but I'm a bit confused. :? Most seem to agree that good tank mates include plecos, corycats, and shrimps but they seem divided on others such as tetras, guppies, etc. If anyone can give me their personal experiences that would be great! Also, are there any that are "fin eaters" that maybe the betta wouldn't hurt but that would hurt the betta? Thanks.

Crustaceons (like shrimps and crabs), Mollusks (like snails), and frogs do well with mine.

If we're talking fish, I've kept mine with smaller-sized Tetras like Neons with no problems.

Just make sure the fish you want to put in there don't nip and don't have long, flowing fins.

Really depends on your tank size and the temperment of your particular betta.

Betta often eat ghost shrimp and there is a member even now having their ADF getting mauled by the betta it was with.

Most of our 20+ betta slurp up small snails like raw oysters and chew down the ghost shrimp., Some like cories and otos..some like nobody

Most tetras, danios and barbs are bad mates.
Mollies , platies and guppies are often the victim and not the nipper.
Bettas are an iffy fish when you talk about having company. If he is in a small tank (under 10 gal) and he was there first I would add fish cautiously..he may have decided his territory is the whole tank and act accordingly.

I found that when I kept a male betta in my community tank with tetras, it was not a good mix. However, when I kept a female betta in there, all was fine :D
There has been a bit written about bettas and shrimp tank mates--if you add some java fern (moss??), it gives the shrimp a place to hide according to one member. One member has bettas in a divided 10 gal with a cory in each section and they all get along fine. It really is up to the betta!

Back
Top Bottom