Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
NinjaNomad196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 323
Good Bottom Feeders for 10g?

Ok, my 10g tank has been set up for a while, and I just am wondering if there are any bottom feeders I could add (minus a snail or shrimp)

My stock:
-Platy
-Molly
-Guppy
-African Dwarf Frog
-Cory Cat

I know this may be close to fully stocked or already is. I don't believe this is overstocked IMO because I've seen similar stocks work before, and this has been going quite a while. Recommend anything? I heard the following are good:
-More Cories
-Otocinclus
-Bristlenose Pleco (I doubt it, but I heard they are good)

The problem with otocinclus is my tank is low on algae, as it's not near sunlight, it's in the corner of a room with only tank lighting and room lighting.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
NinjaNomad196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Dragon.goby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA, Ca, Yucaipa
Posts: 252
Plecos will get too big for your tank. But more Cory's is highly suggested.
__________________

__________________
Dragon.goby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
NinjaNomad196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 323
Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon.goby View Post
Plecos will get too big for your tank. But more Cory's is highly suggested.
Yeah, I kind of doubted plecos. xD, Anyways, I'm thinking more cories, but I love otocinclus, too, lol.

EDIT: Also, I've always wondered if a second guppy would work in this tank.
__________________
NinjaNomad196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 53
you could try more corys pygmy or panda because those are a bit smaller then the others or you could try kuhil loaches which i kinda love because of their playful behavior
__________________
michael15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
NinjaNomad196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 323
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael15 View Post
you could try more corys pygmy or panda because those are a bit smaller then the others or you could try kuhil loaches which i kinda love because of their playful behavior
Would this work: Maybe 1 kuhli loach, and 1 more cory?

EDIT: Scratch that: how would 4 kuhli loaches do, and adding 0 cories?
__________________
NinjaNomad196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 53
the 4 kuhli loaches would work but since that don't have that big of a bioload i would suggest 1 or 2 more. Another thing is make sure your tank has a good bit of hiding places.
__________________
michael15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Luananeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,676
Khuli loaches will hide constantly unless you have a group 6+. I don't recommend them for such a small and heavily stocked tank. A better option if you're looking for someone to help clean things would be a snail or possibly some amano shrimp. The cories may try to eat the shrimp, but they could still work if they have enough hiding spots for them to safely molt.

Also, cories are social critters. They're much happier in groups of 3+.
__________________
Luananeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Mexican Dwarf Crawfish are nice.
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
OhNeil1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, VA (Henrico County)
Posts: 1,110
I agree with the replies that suggest cories. They're great bottom feeders. I wouldn't consider otos to be bottom feeders, but they are great at controlling algae. You say you have an African Dwarf Frog. Don't they need to be able to spend time out of the water?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'd rather be "better" than "right"! :
"Humility is the clearest indication of strength". Sure wish I was humble!

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNeil1969 View Post
I agree with the replies that suggest cories. They're great bottom feeders. I wouldn't consider otos to be bottom feeders, but they are great at controlling algae. You say you have an African Dwarf Frog. Don't they need to be able to spend time out of the water?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No ADF's do not need to go out of water and in fact they need to be in water to survive. What I think you're thinking of is the fact they need to go to the top of the tank periodically to get atmospheric air.
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pandicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: my house
Posts: 669
OK so from my understanding you have one of each? Not many bottom feeders are really suggested for 10g, because they're so small :l. I've heard people say cories shouldn't be in 10 g's but others have said otherwise.
__________________
Seaweed is cool, Seaweed is fun, it makes its food from the rays of the sun
Pandicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #12
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
Corys should be treated as any other schooling fish 6+ to be happy, but that makes a 10 gallon way too small, I wouldn't put a group of corys in anything smaller than a 29 gallon the smaller tanks just don't have a proper footprint. I have quite a few amanos in my tank they do a good job of keeping things clean and there is not a cory big enough to eat them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
NinjaNomad196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 323
Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
Khuli loaches will hide constantly unless you have a group 6+. I don't recommend them for such a small and heavily stocked tank. A better option if you're looking for someone to help clean things would be a snail or possibly some amano shrimp. The cories may try to eat the shrimp, but they could still work if they have enough hiding spots for them to safely molt.

Also, cories are social critters. They're much happier in groups of 3+.
Sorry for late reply, I was busy, and then asleep, but here:
I do realize khuli loaches like big groups, but they do have a small bioload, and I think they MIGHT work, but I'm still unsure. Anyways, I realize cories love friends, and that's kind of why I'm looking for more bottom feeders... I started with 4 cories, and over time, they died, and I'm on my final fellow, so I'm looking for extra help, because this guy is getting older.
__________________
NinjaNomad196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Luananeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNomad196 View Post
Sorry for late reply, I was busy, and then asleep, but here:
I do realize khuli loaches like big groups, but they do have a small bioload, and I think they MIGHT work, but I'm still unsure. Anyways, I realize cories love friends, and that's kind of why I'm looking for more bottom feeders... I started with 4 cories, and over time, they died, and I'm on my final fellow, so I'm looking for extra help, because this guy is getting older.
Mmmm, I still wouldn't recommend Khulis for that size tank. They really do best in 20g+ so you can maintain them in a proper sized group. They can be kept in 10g, but they don't really thrive...

If your cory is getting on in age, I wouldn't restock the cories unless you actually want cories (in which case, stick to the smallest cory species). Let him age out or rehome him, and restock with shrimp or snails if you're looking for something to keep things clean. A Dwarf Orange Crayfish or African Dwarf Frogs are options if you just want something interesting for the bottom and aren't as worried about a cleanup crew. Otos need friends and a lot of algae, which makes it difficult to keep them in small tanks. All other bottom feeders I can think of need larger tanks and are unsuitable for a 10g.
__________________
Luananeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Skibum3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 107
Get the bristle nose!! They are great and don't grow over 3.5 inches. I had one in my 10 gallon for two years and then I got a bigger tank so she moved into that one. They are hardy fish and I think mine likes me because when I put my hand next to her she lets me pick her up...
__________________
Skibum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Luananeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum3 View Post
Get the bristle nose!! They are great and don't grow over 3.5 inches. I had one in my 10 gallon for two years and then I got a bigger tank so she moved into that one. They are hardy fish and I think mine likes me because when I put my hand next to her she lets me pick her up...
Bristlenose plecos are awesome fish, but their adult bioloads are simply too large for a 10g.
__________________
Luananeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
RachelG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 172
I don't think a ten is quite big enough for a school of kuhlis or pygmy cories.
I Highly recommend a handful of amano shrimp. They are like big ghost shrimp.
__________________

__________________
RachelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bottom, bottom feeder, feed, feeder, feeders

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good bottom feeders? jackson123 Cichlid Discussion 14 01-12-2014 04:24 PM
Good bottom feeders for sharp substrate bytal Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 12-23-2009 11:18 AM
Is it wise to keep Micro Sword if you have bottom feeders? JamesMJ2 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 0 09-11-2003 03:53 AM
bottom feeders graz3 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 07-21-2003 05:46 PM
Bottom Feeders Don't Live Atlantis Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 11 06-16-2003 09:50 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.