GOOD DEAL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebob69

Aquarium Advice Activist
In a local classified add I found the following, I'm just curious if it sounds reasonable as I know very little about this stuff. To me it almost sounds too good to be true.

65gallon tank w/ metal stand
wet/dry filter and AC-300 filter
canopy w/ flourescent lights (not sure of wattage)
heater
gravel
accessories for both SW and FW fish

All of this for only $200 or Best Offer

What do u think?

I am not familiar with the filtration used, but it can probably be modified. Do I see fish in the pic? Will they become yours if you buy the tank? Is that gravel blue? That tank is very loud, but everything seems okay :)

I agree the tank is loud. I'd probably clean it out and modify it more to my style. Probaby go with a black substrate and change that neon background to something like plain black or dark blue. Are those backgrounds easy to remove?

YES, they are usually taped on the back. Also, there are soooo many backgrounds to choose from.
SB--even if you dump all the decor, it's a good deal.
What types of fish are you thinking of? (I may have asked before, but cannot remember.)

i was originally thinking of getting a 33 gallon..but this tank might expand my options a lot as far as fish goes. I really want tiger barbs, maybe some zebra danios, possibly gouramis, definitely some corys and/or loaches...and algae eaters of course.

For that price I would grab it IMO...The Gravel and Background can easily be changed...

You can have schooling Barbs and schooling danios and a ton of cories and three loaches and a pleco, or two (if they are small). I remember this now--the barbs will not be friendly to the gouramis.
This is what is in my 50 gal (FYI--the just visiting ones were bought too small for the 80 gal):
50 Gallon Community Tank with small gravel and gravel that looks like river stones, fake plants, and lots of natural wood; 304 Fluval: 13 assorted Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 Kuhli Loaches, Butterfly Loach, 4 Silver-tip Tetras, 5 Serpae Tetra, 4 Apistos, young convict cichlid-- Archocentrus nigrofaciatus (just visiting), 2 clown loaches-- Botia macracanthus (just visiting), 2 yo-yo loaches--Botia almorhae and 4 assorted “rounder” Tetras. The only algae eater is the Rubber Lip pleco. There is no alga problem in the tank. I love my bottom dwellers--they clean everything including the fake plants. I'm not sure what role my butterfly loach plays, but he is just cool to watch :wink:

I know nothing of sharks (they get big and at that point they will eat whatever fits in their mouths--I knew something!). However, when I was researching for my tank, I chose tetras over barbs. Since barbs can be nippy, I wanted something that would school and be peaceful. Maybe someone with barbs can help out here. Also, my knowledge of the red tailed shark is severely lacking, so please help there too!

Red Tailed Shark thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=20753

Baensch Aquarium Atlas:
"A loner, the species is territorial and intolerant of its own species though sometimes more accepting of unrelated tankmates. Larger fish may terrorize a tank, even to the point of becoming tyrants and thus receive a reserved recommendation as a choice for a community tank".

It also mentions they need hiding places and swimming room. Basically need a territory of their own.

And my knowledge just increased :D

GO FLAMES!! lol
?????
Not for me, I don't care how long I live up here :lol:
I'll stick to the team I have fanatically followed since 1991. I don't care where I live. The :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: are my team :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom