good enough seal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
on my used 55 gallon tank i just bought the seal between the two pieces of glass isnt too much even though the pieces of glass are real think, .4 of an inch, so you think i should bulk up the seals or leave them? and just bulk them up with aquarium sealent right and how can i tell if a seal is good enough in a tank?

To "bulk up" the seals, you would first need to remove as much of the old silicone as you can (big pain). New silicone won't stick to old. I don't think you need to do this unless your tank leaks.

If it aint broke...

There is an article somewhere here about sealing tanks, but I don't know where.

the thing is i dont want to fill it up fully and then have it leak all over the place id rather just run some aquarium sealant along the corners to be sure

running sealer along the corners doesnt' work. Trust me, I tried, two times, and it still leaked as though I hadn't even tried to fix it.

if the two glass wall edges aren't sealed directly to each other, the tank will leak.

there is sealer between the two panes of glass where they are connected but thats really it and is it normal for the glass to be .4 of an inch thick for a 55 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom