Good HOB Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am soon buying a 56 gallon column tank. I need a good filter but canister fliters are out of my price range. I am considering the Fluval C4 (264 gph*) and the Aqueon 55/75 (400 gph*) I am kinda stuck I know the Aqueon CLAIMS more gph (see *) but I want something that has really really good biological filtration too. I know the Fluval has extra compartments and one compartment for c-nodes but is the Aqueon just as good? Also is the filter replacements on a Fluval impossible to make myself? (They are pricey from the company) And is one of them really loud?
Any advice (especially if you have used one of these filters) would be appreciated!

*Company claims

Thanks and God bless!

P.S. How many watts does a heater for a 56 need to be?

I'd go with the aqueon I've got one and it's great and I have a small heater on my 55 and it's fine
How many watts is you heater? Also what kind of powerhead would work well to increase oxygenation since the tank is so tall?

ok. I guess I have to have a powerhead to oxygenate the water? I dont really want one because I am afraid the fish will stay in the stream all the time and it wouldnt look natural.

For my 55 g I have the Fluval C4 ( really like) and the Aquatop PFE9 (really like especially the skimmer). IME they both work great! I personally like the HOB filters and like the trickle waterfall sound! Also for water aeration I have a 24' airstone. :) Btw I prefer to have 2 HOB filters on my 55g and my 75g, but this isn't necessary I just have some fish with large bioloads ie: my Tiger Oscar and I have a large Pleco too! Btw on my 75g I have the Marineland Emperor 400 with Biowheel ( like it a lot ) and the Aquaclear 110 ( like it too) So far I like all these brands mentioned and haven't had any issues with any of them! And when I purchased my Marineland Emperor I did so online cuz it had a lot of really good reviews and was a pretty good deal on Amazon! :)

AquaClear HOB's are awesome. Work great and give the best flexibility in media options. You can't go wrong with one. For a 55g tank I'd get the AC110.

thanks yall. I need airation but bubble wands are hard witrh sand and if they arent burried they cloud up the water...

GodFan said:
thanks yall. I need airation but bubble wands are hard witrh sand and if they arent burried they cloud up the water...

I have a bubble strip airstone 24' with my Pfs in both tanks and it works great! I just take a toothbrush when I do pwc and use this to clean off the sand which comes off easily and mine came with suction cups so it doesn't have to sit directly on the sand and honestly I havent had any problems! Good luck! :)

And they have air wand type things that are disguised as fake plants!

I have a bubble strip airstone 24' with my Pfs in both tanks and it works great! I just take a toothbrush when I do pwc and use this to clean off the sand which comes off easily and mine came with suction cups so it doesn't have to sit directly on the sand and honestly I havent had any problems! Good luck! :)
Hold up! You dont bury yours? I buried mine (the water always gets cloudy if I dont) and the bubbles come out slowly plus my wand erupted out of the sand once lol seems like it may do it again but it has held on awhile....

No I don't bury mine it came with suction cups so I have it up about 2 inches from the sand substrate and I don't have any problems with it clouding my water! :)

Mine is not a bubble wand are you talking about those kind that look kinda like a small hose? Mine is a hard plastic that you adhere to the glass with suction cups and I've had it at least 8 mths or so and still works great hasn't clogged up or anything! Hope this helps! :)

I would recommend the aquaclear I had two aqueon 55 filters on my tank and I never really like them because I had no choice but to run their specific filter pads but with the aquaclear I can pretty much choose what goes in depending if I need extra bio filtration or mechanical or even run carbon when ever I'm done dosing medication so I am 100% behind the aquaclear also if your looking for a power head aquaclear makes pretty darn good ones too

+1 for the aquaclear I have two 30's on my 29 and they r ao quiet doesnt seem like they r even on.
for my 55 I got a fluval fx5 but I bought it for a hundred bucks so u can't go wrong with that but IMO I like the aquaclear for hob and for canisters the fluval 405 def i think u can find brand new for 125-140 shipped or fluval makes a hob just make sure to get more than what it says it's for ie 55 gallon get 110 gallon filter.
I would've got the 405 if I didn't find the great deal on the 400 gallon fx5 lol!!!!

The filter is almost the size of a 5 gallon bucket sucks cleaning thank god I won't have to very often lol

Also if u have or gonna fall under mts than having separate filters ie 2 30's on a 30 is great IMO so u can start up tanks quickly and switch filters around on tanks in certain instances.

Mine is not a bubble wand are you talking about those kind that look kinda like a small hose? Mine is a hard plastic that you adhere to the glass with suction cups and I've had it at least 8 mths or so and still works great hasn't clogged up or anything! Hope this helps! :)
Oh yea mine says air stone. I need to try on of those. Thanks!
+1 for the aquaclear I have two 30's on my 29 and they r ao quiet doesnt seem like they r even on.
for my 55 I got a fluval fx5 but I bought it for a hundred bucks so u can't go wrong with that but IMO I like the aquaclear for hob and for canisters the fluval 405 def i think u can find brand new for 125-140 shipped or fluval makes a hob just make sure to get more than what it says it's for ie 55 gallon get 110 gallon filter.
I would've got the 405 if I didn't find the great deal on the 400 gallon fx5 lol!!!!
The Fluval C4 says it is for 50-70 gallon tanks. The flow rate is slightly lower than I would have liked but I can supplement with a sponge filter. Plus I am gonna try a bubble wand for airation :)
The filter is almost the size of a 5 gallon bucket sucks cleaning thank god I won't have to very often lol

Also if u have or gonna fall under mts than having separate filters ie 2 30's on a 30 is great IMO so u can start up tanks quickly and switch filters around on tanks in certain instances.
What is mts?

Back
Top Bottom