Good intentions leads to murky water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was recently away from home for a few days over the holidays and left my husband in charge of feeding my fish. 10-gal tank with 5 Danios. Well, I come home to several Sundried Baby shrimp floating in the tank or sunk to the bottom. (Out of fish flakes. Only had treats at the time. He didn't crush them up). Definately overfed. Now the water is hazy. I've tried vacuuming out the shrimp several times, but everytime I go back I find more floating around or I find one of the fish nibbling on a shrimp that must have been on the bottom of the tank.

I'm worried the shrimp will rot and cause problems.
I'm worried I've been doing too many H2O changes.
I've been monitoring the water chemistry and it has been up and down. I've been doing partial water changes practically daily or every other day, but can't seem to get it right.
I'm sure my filter is overworked - undergravel filter with the carbon cartridges.
My tank looks so nasty. I should be prosecuted for fish abuse.

I'm getting ready to transfer my Danios to my new 55-gal, so I'm not too worried. I put some gravel from my 10-gal in the 55-gal and now the strainer in the new tank even has pieces of shrimp stuck to it and I only did that 12 hours ago!

I'm sure the mischevious Danios told him to keep feeding him like he did. They're always causing problems like that. They had a feast while I was gone.

Back
Top Bottom