Good loaches for a 29 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently purchased another plant for my 30 gallon and now I have snails And lots of them. I need a small easy to car for non aggressive solitary loach to take care of them.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Loaches don't really eat snails that I am aware of. If you want something to rid your tank of snails you need a puffer. Though they are definitely not a beginners fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

After some reading it seems the yoyo loach can eat snails. Only thing is, most are social and being the tank size you have , probably don't have the space for them.

Best thing you can do is reduce feeding to where these is very little left over to none. Basically starving the snails. If it is pond snails, people also just hand remove them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Loaches don't really eat snails that I am aware of. If you want something to rid your tank of snails you need a puffer. Though they are definitely not a beginners fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Puffers are only brackish fish and they would terrorize my tank. I am certain that loaches eat snails however because I once had a 50 gallon and I bought a clown loach and an assassin snail at my LFS and the loach killed it :(

Puffers are only brackish fish and they would terrorize my tank. I am certain that loaches eat snails however because I once had a 50 gallon and I bought a clown loach and an assassin snail at my LFS and the loach killed it :(

Dwarf puffers can thrive in freshwater if given good conditions. Yes they are little terrors though.

Assassin snails could work just get a few of them.

Clown loach gets too big for your tank and is known to be aggressive when not kept in groups. Hence why it killed the snail.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I would only add one or two assassin snails. As I added 4 and now I have a tank full of assassin snails.

If you have no other invertebrates, you could put some copper in there, it will kill all of them, they have stuff like that called "had a snail" and that's what I used to kill em all. Or you could get some assassins

Thanks for all the advice but I have another question. Do assassin snails like being in groups or can I just have one to prevent breeding. I would assume they are fine being alone.

Back
Top Bottom