Good news :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a newbie who had 8 goldfish in a 10gallon, which I recently re-homed four hours away to a nice couple with a large pond. While I was really upset about my goldfish whom I <3'd a lot, my mood was uplifted when I returned home to find my pleco and my mystery snail much happier.

The pleco isn't harassed at feeding time and my snail, who used keep his antennae inside his shell most of the time, is now letting it all hang out and is zooming around the tank like a madman! :D

And even better news!! I've been trying to convince my dad to get into the hobby for a while now, and I've finally inspired him to take it seriously and be devoted. He is going to make a 60gallon (maybe larger) aquarium out of acrylic so we can have a community tank in the living room. My pleco and snail will be put in there when it's all up and cycled.

So with that in mind, what would be good stocking for 60g? My dad wants a small schooling fish of some kind, preferably tropical and bright :) any tropical freshwater fish that school really well? And any thoughts on 'center piece' fish would be appreciated too. I will be doing a ton of research before choosing compatible fish, I'd just like a place to start!

Thanks all, and man am I glad this website exists. :D

Hey! Welcome!
Um I'd recommend tetras! They come in all different sizes and colours and they school amazingly! :) they get along with like any fish as well!

Discus are not recommended for starters at all... Very picky fish and you need to pick fish that get along with them! I would HIGHLY not recommend Discus to start

Thank you! I had researched discus a little before and was interested until I saw they are a bit difficult to care for. I don't want to set myself up for failure lol. I need to look up Rasboras as I have never heard of them before. I like barbs and tetras so they are def something to consider. My dad also wants a tall aquarium so I was thinking a pair of angels. Not sure though :\

What type of pleco? If you know, please tell me and I can give you a stock list formatted like this that you can pick and choose from.
Example-
1 Angel or 1 Dwarf Gourami
10 Neons or 10 Zebra Danios
(Don't use this to stock with)

NekoOo said:
Thank you! I had researched discus a little before and was interested until I saw they are a bit difficult to care for. I don't want to set myself up for failure lol. I need to look up Rasboras as I have never heard of them before. I like barbs and tetras so they are def something to consider. My dad also wants a tall aquarium so I was thinking a pair of angels. Not sure though :\

Your dad would be better off with a larger footprint than a tall tank. Tall tanks are difficult to aquascape, light well and you have more room for fish with a larger footprint.

He's a common pleco. This 60 gallon tank is kind of an experiment, we live in a mobile home and the floors wont support the 100 gallon my dad has his heart set on. He's been tossing around the idea of finding another place to live within the next year, in which case he'll make the 100g.

I keep telling my dad tall isn't the way to go! Mainly because it'll be hard to clean and the top of the tank will likely be barren. I want a tank with a lot of floor space. I want it to be wide rather than tall, more room and it'll all be utilized better by fish and plants/decor.

NekoOo said:
I keep telling my dad tall isn't the way to go! Mainly because it'll be hard to clean and the top of the tank will likely be barren. I want a tank with a lot of floor space. I want it to be wide rather than tall, more room and it'll all be utilized better by fish and plants/decor.

I'm rooting for you!

Back
Top Bottom