Good peaceful colourful additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I'm looking for some recommendations to go in my community tank, it's not built yet but when it is I want to be ready, I have at the moment
2 black skirts
2 white skirts
4 black neons
4platys 3f 1m
5 mollies 3f 2m
4 adult corydoras
2 baby corydoras (nearly 3month old)
1 Pleco (mainly the new build is for him)

These are in a 55g/200L with pwc 3 times a week, eheim hob filter and an xp3 filstar .

The new tank is going to be double that or more, any suggestions would be much appreciated ;) nice smallish fish not bigger than the mollies but not too small either :)

I don't ask for much ;)

Thanks
Suzanne x

Hi I'm looking for some recommendations to go in my community tank, it's not built yet but when it is I want to be ready, I have at the moment
2 black skirts
2 white skirts
4 black neons
4platys 3f 1m
5 mollies 3f 2m
4 adult corydoras
2 baby corydoras (nearly 3month old)
1 Pleco (mainly the new build is for him)

These are in a 55g/200L with pwc 3 times a week, eheim hob filter and an xp3 filstar .

The new tank is going to be double that or more, any suggestions would be much appreciated ;) nice smallish fish not bigger than the mollies but not too small either :)

I don't ask for much ;)

Thanks
Suzanne x

What about dwarf chichlids German blue rams or neon blue rams or some appistogramma species would work like appistogramma cockatoides???

Consider that most tetras are schooling fish that like plenty of their own kind for company, so maybe you should up the numbers of tetras, if you like what you have so far. Neons especially do better in larger groups, behave differently if they have a nice crowd to swim with. Six of would be my minimum, or seven, to have uneven numbers can be be nicer to watch.

And while many of them are quite common, I am rather fond of danios, because they stay in the upper water and are active all the time. Gold zebras are very showy, and Orange Hachets are nice too, smaller. Glowlight Danios are small, and while not very brightly coloured in the body, have a strip of orange down the side that looks like LED lights glowing, hence the name. I like the way they behave and they not expensive, get on well with any fish that is not big enough to eat them.

I like cardinal tetras better than a standard neon, they keep their colour much better as they age than standard neons do. Cory fish are also better in groups of six or seven, with one male to 2 or 3 females, more or less, preferably the same species. You will see them more often and be able to enjoy their antics that way. The albino ones show up nicely, especially on a dark substrate.

If you want bright colours, sword tails are hard to beat, though because they are larger you can't have quite as many as you could of smaller fish. They will cross breed with platies too, so you might not want that. [I'm a fan of the little fishes myself, but I know not everyone likes them so well as I do].

I'm quite fond of Beckford's pencil fish.. the boys have brilliant red fins that just glow when they are displaying. They don't fight, just show off to each other. Girls less colourful, as is often the case. Nice size, peaceful fish.

Red phantom tetra is another colourful fish, very pretty with plants and 'lambchop rasbora' is a lovely little fish in a school. Very bright, active, peaceful fish with a brand new copper penny body colour and a black 'lambchop' mark on the side. Best to have at least six of the tetras and with the pencil fish, two males to four or five females, and plenty of plants, to break up sight lines, so the boys don't have to worry about each other all the time.

Consider that most tetras are schooling fish that like plenty of their own kind for company, so maybe you should up the numbers of tetras, if you like what you have so far. Neons especially do better in larger groups, behave differently if they have a nice crowd to swim with. Six of would be my minimum, or seven, to have uneven numbers can be be nicer to watch.

And while many of them are quite common, I am rather fond of danios, because they stay in the upper water and are active all the time. Gold zebras are very showy, and Orange Hachets are nice too, smaller. Glowlight Danios are small, and while not very brightly coloured in the body, have a strip of orange down the side that looks like LED lights glowing, hence the name. I like the way they behave and they not expensive, get on well with any fish that is not big enough to eat them.

I like cardinal tetras better than a standard neon, they keep their colour much better as they age than standard neons do. Cory fish are also better in groups of six or seven, with one male to 2 or 3 females, more or less, preferably the same species. You will see them more often and be able to enjoy their antics that way. The albino ones show up nicely, especially on a dark substrate.

If you want bright colours, sword tails are hard to beat, though because they are larger you can't have quite as many as you could of smaller fish. They will cross breed with platies too, so you might not want that. [I'm a fan of the little fishes myself, but I know not everyone likes them so well as I do].

I'm quite fond of Beckford's pencil fish.. the boys have brilliant red fins that just glow when they are displaying. They don't fight, just show off to each other. Girls less colourful, as is often the case. Nice size, peaceful fish.

Red phantom tetra is another colourful fish, very pretty with plants and 'lambchop rasbora' is a lovely little fish in a school. Very bright, active, peaceful fish with a brand new copper penny body colour and a black 'lambchop' mark on the side. Best to have at least six of the tetras and with the pencil fish, two males to four or five females, and plenty of plants, to break up sight lines, so the boys don't have to worry about each other all the time.

Thank you, the skirt tetras were all saved I did have 3 blacks but sadly my oldest one yesterday :( but o do plan on getting some more , I've 2 more black neons in qt being treated for white spot so I have 6 when they are all back together :) .. I might have a look into sword tails ,
Corys I will get more once Ive a bigger tank , I have 6 now , but I really like these little fish too..

Thanks again, I wish I could get the choice to buy the ones you suggested but when there's 9 little display tanks with freshwater tropical fish in, that's not much choice :(

Six serpae tetras would add some nice red/black colors to your group. Just a thought. Their red color really pops under the reddish flora max bulbs also. OS.

Six serpae tetras would add some nice red/black colors to your group. Just a thought. Their red color really pops under the reddish flora max bulbs also. OS.

If only.... My lfs is totally useless..and it's the only one I use in the south , the others are even worse !
. But I like the sound of those I might ask if they could get me some special order ..when it's built , I'm off to google them ...thank you

They will flare at each other but never really come to blows. When they are "bluffing" each other is when their fins and colors really get intense. They will nip at other fish once in a while but nothing harmful. If you keep 6 or 8 they will behave better. I have them with neons and rummys and have had no issues. OS.

Back
Top Bottom