Good Tankmates for a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I've decided against it lol I had em together before but it was a much larger tank and can't remember any probs thanx for the advice tho!

stone1269 said:
Yea I've decided against it lol I had em together before but it was a much larger tank and can't remember any probs thanx for the advice tho!

I think tank size makes a big difference. I've heard of folks having up to three male bettas together, for instance, but in a very large tank. Territorial fish can establish their own territories that way. But in. Small tank, there's only one common territory.

Fluval edge is not a good betta tank though. They breath from the surface more that any fish I have ever seen.

stone1269 said:
I'm curious u said u ordered ur betta from Thailand do u live n the states that's a long way lol why order 1 from so far away? can u not get the one u wanted from ur lfs or one closer?

I'm in Pensacola, FL. I wanted to get a really amazing betta. Not only could I not find anything but the regular kind of bettas at my LFS's, I also couldn't find any US breeders with the kind I was looking for. Al of the ones I like are bred in Thailand, it seems!

I was leery at first, but the seller from Thailand and the transhipper in Atlanta have both been very communicative. It's costing me more than I wanted to for a single fish, though! The betta cost $25, as tea shipping will cost me $39. I still can't believe I'm doing this! That's why I want to make sure everything is safe in the tank for my little guy.

image-3785901831.jpg

Here's a pic of him (I the attachment worked).

Sorry for all the typos! I'm posting from my phone. That should be "transhipping" not "tea shipping," lol.

That is a gorgeous betta! If you really want to make it safe then leave a half to a inch of air at the top of the tank so he can breathe. I put a betta in a 20 tall (from a glass bowl) and it would panic at first because of the depth,. When they need to breathe they just go up wherever they are. I would also only recomend snails and shrimp (NOT ghost shrimp) with a betta with fins like that.

GodFan said:
Fluval edge is not a good betta tank though. They breath from the surface more that any fish I have ever seen.

Fluval Edge's do have an open air space, though. You can't see it because there is a cover, buy the cover is a mesh top that fits over the square top and allows free air to circulate.

I was wondering y u were gettin tea with ur betta lol that is an awesome betta!! I've seen sum really nice ones from the lfs but I have to admit that one is absolutely stunning I'm jealous!!

Fluval Edge's do have an open air space, though. You can't see it because there is a cover, buy the cover is a mesh top that fits over the square top and allows free air to circulate.
I know but bettas need alot of space compared to other fish. That little spot of air is not enough IMO and research.

rreekers said:
oh my goodness! STUNNING! BEAUTIFUL! WOW! I would give him his own home! with lots of water changes to keep him happy

Thanks!

For any interested, I got him from Nicebettas.com. Very nice seller--even knocked $5 of the price as a bonus And the pics are all of the the actual fish you will get, not a stock photo.

When I get home, I'll post links to a couple of other sites I found. One has small video clips of each of their fish, so you can see them swimming around before you choose! Almost as good as going to the store.

GodFan said:
I know but bettas need alot of space compared to other fish. That little spot of air is not enough IMO and research.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to monitor him carefully then. If he seems distressed, I'll lower the water level to provide more open air space.

stone1269 said:
Do they have solid black bettas? Or solid white?

This particular seller or in general?

I was looking for black, originally, or black and red. I love the picks of the black crown tails/king crown tails. Black orchids some of them are called. There all all-white opaque ones, too, which are gorgeous, and some white-gold ones. I just think all of them are beautiful. Many that I fell in love with we're already sold. But if you're patient, just keep checking the sites for updates in stock. When I saw this chocolate one, though, and no one had bought him up, yet, I didn't hesitate. Had to have him!

I can't remember which ones this particular seller had in stock. I searched through hundreds of photos on several sites, so they all became something of a blur. But I'll post the links when I get home.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to monitor him carefully then. If he seems distressed, I'll lower the water level to provide more open air space.
Thats a good idea. that way if he is fine with the limited space you dont ruin the asthetics of the tank! I wanna see tank pics when he is in though.... ;)

Look forward to seeing pics of the fish once it's settled in. I don't know about tankmates either, maybe shrimp. I've never tried building a community tank around a betta so I don't have much experience with it.

i definitely NEED to see pics when this guy is in your tank, beautiful fish!!! tell us how the experience is with ordering from them too :) im actually considering it right now, depending on how it turns out for you. :lol:

Boogety48 said:
I've had mine with mini neon tetras, cories, ghost shrimp, african dwarf frogs, and snails. Don't get anything that has a flowy tail (molly/goldfish/guppy) or anything that has fins that dangle off of them(angel fish). The betta will nip the fins off or in my case I had an angel kill a betta once, before I knew better.

What is a 'mini' neon tetra

IME my betta was perfectly fine with small tetras, only one of them bothered him but he stopped after my betta got fed up with him, lol I got two mollies recently and they wont leave my betta alone so I don't suggest those

Back
Top Bottom