Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Good tankmates for a dwarf gourami?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some stocking suggestions for my 20 gallon (high) planted tank. I finished my fishless cycle and started (slowly) adding fish about a month and a half ago. I currently have:

4 Sterba's cory cats
1 dwarf gourami
1 zebra nerite snail

I added one male guppy to my tank this week, and unfortunately the gourami started nipping at him and the guppy did not survive. I had done research prior to adding the guppy, but apparently not enough. I haven't had any trouble with the gourami and the cory cats. I want to make sure that the next fish I add will do well in my tank community!

I am considering fish like danios, mollies, platies, or tetras. I'm a little worried about the tetras, because my tank has hard water and high pH (~8.2). I am very open to suggestions, and would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had neon tetras and gourami together with no problems. Fish can adjust to the pH.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

First let me say there are all temperments of dwarf gourami and some will get along fine. I on the other hand, had one beautiful one in a 29 gallon tank who harassed every other fish in the tank. Finally I rehomed him to a 75,gallon tank where he fit in fine. So I would say be watchful. I would guess smaller schooling fish would work and the bottom fish, not sure about mollies.

Maybe others can suggest tankmates.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Rummy nose tetras might work. Or glowlights, black neons, or harlequin rasboras would look nice.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate it!

Tags
community tank freshwater, dwarf gourami, gourami, stocking 20 gallon, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com