Got a black piranha pacu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimitri320

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About a week ago I got a new fish, a big 40cm black piranha pacu into my 450 litre aquarium. It doesn't want to eat anything and turned into light silver colour and always stay on the bottom. Doesn't move much, but sometimes makes very motions and bumps into aquarium walls very hard. Any idea what is wrong with it?? I'm rather new to this hobby so any advice would be great to have! Thanks!!!;) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465421577.710591.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

About a week ago I got a new fish, a big 40cm black piranha pacu into my 450 litre aquarium. It doesn't want to eat anything and turned into light silver colour and always stay on the bottom. Doesn't move much, but sometimes makes very motions and bumps into aquarium walls very hard. Any idea what is wrong with it?? I'm rather new to this hobby so any advice would be great to have! Thanks!!!;) View attachment 287252

That just looks like my silver dollar and i have the same issue where any sudden movement or turning on the lights will send him darting into the glass, but as for food try frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, algae wafers, or flakes because silver dollars tend not to be picky about their foods.

Black piranha and a pacu are two different fish. Pacus are herbivores while piranha are carnivores. That just looks like a regular silver pacu to me. That's for sure not a black piranha though

if he was black when you got him he was most likely stresses out .
pacu's are vegetarian , celery stalks with flowering leaves , broccoli floret's , lettuce , and spinach leaves , even better if you could could start a planted under water garden
they also will eat certain bugs
pacu's are not related to piranha they may look similar but are not .
pacu's are illegal in some states as people tend to release them into local ponds and lakes ,
scaring people as they do look like piranha when swimming in schools
Black_Pacu_0059_Rob_Eustace_pacu11.jpg

pacu's are good for out growing about every tank I have seen them as big as man hole covers.

Last edited:
Thanks so much fun or the advice! I'll get some plants into my aquarium and see how it'll go!

Back
Top Bottom